There are a lot of choices of curriculum materials for learning. They offer technology sophistication to engage the children in learning enthusiasm. It is started from maths, language arts, social studies, science, and any different kinds of arts. The modern technologies have made any kinds of computerized and modern learning resources and methods available.
I was very surprised when I started my research in homeschooling resources and methods. There are a lot of homeschooling families that still use the classical methods and its varieties in resources with twist and twirl. There are a lot of interpretation about the meaning and the scope of classical here.
- Classical materials might include the study of any Greek and Latin language, literature, and history.
- Classical materials might include all of the great Western Civilization roots of culture which are from Greek and Roman, including reading, visual arts, dancing, and music.
- Classical materials might include the western or I would like to say the Western literature works that are studied and read by people from generation to generation, including the fairy tale and folk tales.
Looking around those classical resources in the forms of reading choices and music, there are methods (memorization, dictation, drilling, narration, and copy work) accompany the delivery of the resources. They are classified into 3 different levels called Trivium: Grammar, Logic, and Rethoric.
Books About The Classical Education
- The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric by Sister Miriam Joseph
- Teaching the Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style by Harvey Bluedorn
- Trivium Mastery: The Intersection of Three Roads: How to Give Your Child an Authentic Classical Home Education by Diane Lockman
- Trivium 21c: Preparing Young People for the Future with Lessons From the Past By Martin Robinson
- The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (Third Edition) by Susan Wise Bauer
- The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education By Leigh Bortins
- The Case for Classical Christian Education By Douglas Wilson
- Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning: An Approach to Distinctively Christian Education (Turning Point Christian Worldview Series) By Douglas Wilson
- THE LOST TOOLS OF LEARNING and THE MIND OF THE MAKER (Paperback) by Dorothy Sayers
- A Thomas Jefferson Education: Teaching a Generation of Leaders for the Twenty-First Century by Oliver de Mille
Some Reasons Of Using Classical Resources and Methods
- Most of the classical resources emphasize strong Christian morality values. The time the music was created and the reading or materials were written, Christian and traditional value still have very strong influence in the society. On the other hand, many parents miss the valuable time so that they live in the era when the Christian moral and value are not apparent and as strong as it was. The recent condition which is more complicated in many different aspects of life is considered as the result of less or even lack of morality education. Therefore, many educators try to return to the classics.
- Those classical resources are timeless or everlasting so that even the grand children still can enjoy them as they are not limited or set by the trend.
The fact that classical resources are everlasting is undeniable. Why do you think the old materials are more everlasting? I think you should have some answer in your mind. If you liked superman when you were a child, you might find that superman has been sunk before it renewed itself. The rock music has its own era of popularity. Once the music or the materials got down trend, we cannot see it anywhere anymore. The existence of classical materials and methods till right now has adequate proof that they are always can adapt to any era.
- Most of the classical resources have simple and lively performance
I thought that English classical reading materials were plain writing without any picture. I was wrong. Some younger children books have pictures, but they are very limited and adjusted to the age. When we read classical materials, there are usually vintage pictures which look very simple and peaceful in the themes. Even they look elegant that can lead the readers to a more calm and peaceful atmosphere of reading setting. The limited number of illustration will encourage readers to think and imagine the setting and plot of the story. It is very different from the modern books and even television that has colorful and bright illustration. The limited illustration also keep the readers more concentrated on the content of the materials rather than being distracted by the pictures.
- Many famous people has proved the use of both classical resources and methods.
What materials did Albert Einstein use? What about Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Alfa Edison, Warren Buffet, and many other famous people? All of them use the memorization, copy work, dictation, drilling, and might be narration. That's right they use some various classical methods with the classical materials. In other words, the result of the classical methods and materials have been proofed by many great people.
- The classical resources adjust the material to the appropriate language to the age.
There are various collection of classical materials with ranges of subjects and difficulty. However, the delivery of the materials are usually adjusted to the appropriate ages of the readers. Children books always use the language of children and the teenager books will use teenager language but with the appropriate ethics and relevancy in the delivery.
- Old fashioned vocabulary and repertoires used in the classical homeschooling resources can be useful in many ways.
The old fashioned vocabulary that might be found in many of the classical materials. They are rarely found recently, but they still will add our vocabulary collection. There would be a chance in the academic documents and events when they would turn up occasionally. You also might meet other people discussing the materials. In terms of classical music, we can communicate with many people in the international scope to talk about the same music language.
- Classical methods and resources provide strong foundation of skills for the future intelligent development.
Using the classical methods that include memorization, dictation, copy work, drilling, and narration, the ability of thinking is really trained. It is similar with how your body is trained by doing the exercise or working out. You might visit my other posting about The Importance of Memorization and Drilling
- The classical methods sound very outdated, but they have given a lot of training toward further developed creativity.
People might say that being classical means you are not creative. I believe that creativity needs a strong foundation to make it everlasting. Most of the famous people (scientist, artist, philosophers, etc) learn from their teacher by copying first like doing copy work before they create their own “masterpiece”. A pianist should be able to play (copy) other pianist's music before he or she can create his or her own.
- The classical resources also sound very old, but they give a lot of inspiration toward the modern days creativity
people might think why they need to open the olden days books or listening to the musics.
There are a lot of successful cartoon movies produced by Walt Disney are from the Greek mythology like Hercules and Atlantis, the Lost Empire. Most of J. R. R. Tolkien's stories are inspired by the Greek mythology too. There are many other authors that create their story based and used the inspiration from the classical resources.
- Most classical resources, both reading and music are easier and to get as they have belonged to the public domain mostly considering the publication date.
With the development of the technology information like the internet, we can get the classical reading materials easier and even some of them are free. However, this statement is relative as it depends on the quality of the material and the available time for searching the resources
Well, every child has his or her own interest, more comfortable ways and potency of learning in each unique family. The way homeschooling family using or implement their learning is also unique adjusted to the most comfortable way for them. It also happens with homeschooling family that use the classical methods in their process of teaching and learning. There are some resources and blogs that people can see how others use classical methods in their home education. Please stay tune to the other seri of this classical education topic.