One of the biggest issue of not homeschooling is lack of mom's patience. Am I a patient homeschooling mom? Then, are all homeschooling moms patient? You might say yes, maybe, or no, but I am included into the not patient one. I am easily getting worried and angry. What might I be included that category?
I am not a patient homeschooling mom
- I sometimes yell to my sons when it is hard to handle and call them. It is quite hard interrupting and stopping them watching TV. I have tried very hard to control myself from yelling. Some ways i have tried to do to control myself are: pray to get the patience and to be patient like Jesus, be thankful from I have got. I will be aware the children are the gifts from God that I should not yell at. I used to do it everyday in my quiet time. , I count myself for 5 before I yell while I take a deep breath.
- I am not patient checking children works. I sometimes get the works in piles already. Being desperate with those piles of works, I will get my husband helping me. He will understand me very well and gives a hand to help. What a nice husband.
- I am rarely make worksheet for my kids. Once again, I am not that artistic and patient. I always get them doing notebooking or lapbooking. I prefer using an instant or ready made worksheet. I should fix this impatience as well to be able more creative with my kids. There are plenty of free and paid worksheet and lesson plan throughout the internet. I just collected some of my favourite direct worksheet sites (for both free and paid) and link collection sites here
- Well, arts is really tempting my patience as I am not a kind of crafter and tidy person in doing so. I owe a great help from my sister and friends who have helped me with a lot of ideas and time. Pinterest is also another helper for looking up ideas.
- When I feel annoyed by kids interrupting my concentration, I try hard to hold my anger by staring longer to my kids eyes. I will stay quiet for 3 seconds to go deeper into my kids' sight and I will be aware how cute they are.
- Waiting for kids doing things slowly makes me really impatient. In this case I really have to see how important they need to do it by themselves. If they really have to do it independently, then I would do multitasking but keep an eye on them. By doing so I try to put away my impatience. However, if it is really needed, I would like to help them a little, at least giving them a way or clue.
- It is very hard to find kids cannot memorise and do multiplication problem or something that they should have been able to do. I think most parents would have experienced the same thing. I just keep in my mind that they learn because they cannot do it. If they have been able doing it they won't learn. When kids cannot do something, my experience shows that they have not been ready with the topic because their mind hasn't been opened yet.
One example of this case was when my middle son had to be able to colour a simple picture, he couldn't do it and I was yelling at him. Now I feel very regretful as he can draw very well right now. I shouldn't have got angry at him. This give me a very precious lesson. We cannot predict what happen later by looking at what happen now.
I had some friends who always made my teacher angry when I was in the middle school because he liked crying and it was hard for him to understand things. Now he is a very successful businessman. My Kindie friend who always stay in class grade in high school is a very rich lady. A friend of mine always never passed remedial test in high school is a successful vet right now.
Looking at those experience, I always try to think positively when my kids cannot understand some things after I explain many times. Being angry just will make me regretful later.
You see that I am not a patient homeschooling mom. Being impatient doesn't stop me to stay with my kids at home and wherever until they are ready. I know nobody is perfect. Homeschooling has been our choice with a strong motivation for me to show and to pass the greatest love from God to children and family. I still have to learn of being patient because I know that I am not a patient homeschooling mom. I pray a lot so God will give me more patience.
How patient are you?
How do you increase your patience?
What are the things that often make you angry or impatient?