We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Character building focus is one vision of most homeschooling family. It can be done either directly or indirectly. In the middle of the year you need to do some reflection about this:
- How far have you tried to implement the character building to children. If you have got direct lessons on character building, you should reevaluate how the children response to the lessons. If you do it indirectly, you probably need to sit down and write what you have planted to the children and the frequency.
- Think how your children's characters have improved from the beginning of the year to that day. Decide how you can continue your effort to get more effective ways.
Here is my Pinterest board about character education. You can get a lot of information about character building:
Homeschooling is not only about the academic life. Check out some ranges of skills you have emphasized or you need to emphasize further:
- How far can children be independent in doing their chores?
- How are the improved in their social skills in real life? (include politeness, independency, etc)
- Religious life is one of the life skill, I think. Think how you have made efforts on this area and the result as well.
Time management is the most difficult part of homeschooling for many parents. In addition, there are many homeschooling parents that have multiple roles at home, as a bread winner, a teacher, a spouse, a home maker, etc. Time management evaluation needs to be done regularly:
- Have you made fair time management for each role you have at home?
- Which area of time management do you need to improve?
- How are you going to improve this area?
When the time management is improved, there will be improvement in whole areas of homeschooling since you will be less stressful.
Here are some great resources for time management:
Homeschooling can be done anywhere at home or outside. the problem is not about the where the schooling or learning process takes place, but it is more on how you manage the place.
- How does your place look like after half of the homeschooling year? Is it extremely different from the early year when you finished tidying up?
- Is the placement of everything suitable with the homeschooling movement circulation?
- Has everyone put the stuff back on the right place? How are you going to encourage yourself and children to put everything back on the right place after you have finished?
Being angry as a homeschooling mom is something normal around the world. The problem is about how you can control your temperament or emotion to the children. I am very sure that all homeschooling moms love their children. They will always want to improve the emotion control. It might be your first resolution in every new year.
In the middle of the academic year, it will be wiser for you to evaluate how you have been improved in this area.
- Recall when was the last time you get angry to your children. How do you react?
- How far have you tried to change? Does it work?
- Plan how you can manage your emotion
Here are some great books about the angry management
Another feature of homeschooling children is the ability to customize the lessons based on the children's learning styles. It is a time for you to check out whether you have implemented appropriate approach to your children based on their learning styles. The right learning styles will boost the children's learning a lot. Therefore, it will ease your homeschooling a lot.
- How comfortable kids are learning at the moment?
- How do the children learn? Do they often use their visual, auditory, or kinetics? Try to analyze how they feel comfortable in learning.
- have you met their learning styles? How are you going to do it?
Curriculum and Resources
The mid year of homeschooling is also the time for you to evaluate the curriculum you have already used for the half year. There are some reasons to change your curriculum and methods of homeschooling. The main purpose of course to improve your homeschooling.
- Meny people try to minimalize the curriculum changes, but I still suggest you to consider about this for the rest of the year better homeschooling.
- Check what works and what doesn't work for your children and yourself.
- Make a list for this and the alternatives.
Kids Work and Academic Achievements
I completely agree that homeschooling is not about the academic things only. However, we need also to pay attention to the children's work and academic achievements. For me, it is a kind of responsibility for both parents and children.
- How do you think children's work quality?
- Which area do they still need improvements?
- How can they improve their work?
- Have you arranged a documentation of portfolio?
Non Academic Activities
Homeschooling should not be like a jail. We use our afternoon for outside activity. In the middle of the homeschool year, it is suggested to evaluate the non-academic activities or the extra. There are some possibilities to change:
- Are the activities too crowded?
- Do children enjoy the activities so that they are effective and efficient?
- Have you got balance types of activities?
You need to discuss it with children and your husband about this point.
Homeschooling families often focus a lot on the homeschooling or children matters. Moms are usually very busy and the other role as a wife and mother are often forgotten. The main family relationship is sometimes ignored. The mid year homeschooling is also the time to evaluate:
- The family activities you do together
- The routines to tighten the family bonding.