Reading about someone else's life story is always fascinating activities for my kids. Although a famous person biography belongs to non-fiction, it is a combination of fiction and nonfiction at a glance. They will forget to do other things once they are reading biographies. Sometimes I wonder whether they understand what they read or not. Therefore, I would like to share some Ideas of Biography Reading Comprehension Activities for Children
Scroll down this post to find out some reasons children need to read biography, biography series we love, and the comprehension activity ideas.
Why Children Read Famous Person Biography
There are a lot of things to learn by reading and listening to a famous person biography:
- They learn the process of being successful which needs hard work and perseverance. Being famous is not something easy and it cannot be achieved in one night period. It does need a lot of hard work and perseverances. By reading biography kids will be amused and motivated to work harder and be more perseverance as they will see a good model from the famous people.
- They learn that being successful doesn't have to use a lot of assets to start with. Being famous doesn't always need wealth and talent. Some of famous people might be very talented, prodigies, and rich. However, many heroes and saints are very poor and not talented at all. They have great model of being humble, loyal, pure in heart, and strong will.
- They learn that being successful is not always be being rich, but there are a lot of kinds of being successful. Being successful is not measured by how much money people have and how popular they are. Let's take a look at St. Thomas Aquinas, Mother Theresa from Calcutta, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, etc. They were poor when they worked.
- The strong faith behind the success can play a great part toward the life of the famous people. We can learn about it through some quotations made, populated, and said by many important people that give motivation, encouragement, and enlightenment in these modern days.
- They learn how family and community relationship can play important parts in someone's success. Behind the success of someone, there is usually strong motivation and support from families, friends, or close people. Notifying this factor, we will learn how to socialize indirectly.
Our Favourite Famous Person Biography
We read famous person Biography in several subjects to get the concepts more engaging.
Famous Person Biography for Science
Famous Person Biography for Composer Study
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers)Ludwig Van Beethoven (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers)George Gershwin (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers)Johann Sebastian Bach (Revised Edition) (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers)Peter Tchaikovsky (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers)George Handel (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers)Johannes Brahms (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers)Frederic Chopin (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers)
12 Ideas of Biography Reading Comprehension Activities for Children
After reading famous person biography, you might go to other profiles. However, you will miss some great benefits and fun things about the book. Here are some Ideas of Biography Reading Comprehension Activities for Children to accompany the biography study in general
Write A Letter
You can get children to write a letter to the famous person. The letter can show expressions of admiration, gratefulness, and some personal questions. In this way, you will apreciate and respect the famous person deeper. You might write together to demonstrate or to model how to write those expressive letters.
Make An Interview
Playing an interview role play or write an interview to the famous person will help us
- To see how kids react towards some problems might be faced by the famous person
- To assess how kids comprehend the life story of the famous person after reading the biography,
These ways are better and more fun rather than giving a written test. Kids can pretend to be the famous person, while parents and siblings can pretend to be journalist or fans.
Make A Diagram of Cause And Effect
Tracing the life of famous people will sound deeper when we can learn how they can be successful by analyzing the cause and result success factors. Learning some facts by memorizing is just a surface of learning. The most important thing is the cause behind it that will lead to message behind the life story. At the same time, it will make a life learning for readers as well.
Study some quotes from the famous person. We can study quotations from famous people by
- copy working
- making poster
- doing presentation, etc.
By learning about quotation from famous persons, we can learn the spirit and philosophical thought that support their success so that we can use them also.
Each famous person should have special characters that we can study through their biography. By going deeper into their character traits, you might introduce certain model of character traits to children and even as adults, we can learn a lot.
Make a timeline
A timeline can help readers to understand the story in a more logic and sequential so that they can comprehend it much better. There are several ways to make timeline other than the classical way. Let's see the creative activities:
- If your children love drawing, they can make a comic instead of a plain timeline.
- Make a 3D diorama in sequence
- Draw a mural in sequence of 4, etc.
Create A Computer Presentation
For older kids, making a powerpoint, open office, or keynote presentation about the famous people will make a wonderful computer topic. Of course, it will be better to produce the presentation from a set of research process using some information skills.
Write A Report
Write a report about the famous person. This activity might sound old, but you can modify the report format with images and quotes. Using some information skills, the life of famous people can be a great topic to do.
Create a mini drama or dialogue
You can get children create a mini drama or with some dialogue in which the famous person is one of the characters. This activity will be a great family fun. Furthermore, the involvement of parents will make kids more enthusiastic. Wearing some costumes and accessories which are adjusted to the time when the famous person alive will make the drama more lively. Some lighting and decoration effects will be parts of arts projects. In addition, you can invite your relatives and neighbors to watch. Thus, you can socialize with them as well.
Write A Thank You Message
Create a thank you card or letter to the famous person. Being thankful of what has been done by the famous person will lead us to be a grateful person so that we can appreciate the life and the world as God creatures much better.
Have some worksheet to fill in might sound very old fashioned as well. However, there are a lot great worksheets with fun contents you can get either free or paid. TeachersPayTeachers is one rich resource site to get the works for kids. You mighthave not read or listened to the books, but you can get children to do work because there is answer keys in the package.
Do Lap Book or Notebooking Activities
Create lap book or notebooking activities about the famous person. If you have longer time to do the famous person through studying biography, it is great to make lap book or notebooking activities as a studying process. Here are some link about how to make lapbook and notebooking pages by yourselves.
We provide a Language Art Notebooking Page Templates that can help children and parents with Notebooking activity materials. Parents don't need to look up notebooking pages for language arts anymore. You can use the set for various use, including the Famous Person Biography reading. Click the image below to check it out.
If you like this post, you might like: