We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
When I was young, I often heard my parents said that parenting children that days was different than it had been. Of course it was because they compared the condition at that time with the condition when my parents were young. It also happens with me. Sometimes I tell people when I get desperate, “Children living this days are different with children in the past.”As the time is running with a lot of changes from time to time, our life changes unavoidably. It gives impacts to the parenting styles. Different circumstances will affect the way parents growing up children. Things that work in the past might not work in the present and future. There are more temptation of technology in the modern day parenting. It makes a lot of myths about parenting growing a long. They are not going to mend most of the family. In fact, the basic of parenting is a matter of nature and people often forget about it. On the other hand, the made up patterns and rules of parenting, which are not the product of nature, are getting stronger influencing parents with some deceitful reasons to make parents stay in a comfortable zones.
Today, I am very happy to share with my readers a great book written by Dr. James D. Dempsey from www.D6Culture.com, Parenting Unchained: Overcoming the Ten Deceptions that Shackle Christian Parents. As a member of the Parenting UnChained Launch Team, I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review and promotion. No other compensation was received and all opinions are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with FTC Guidelines. As the subtitle said, the book is about breaking the parenting myths. Those myths are some lies in parenting that many people believe in. In this book, Dr. James D. Dempsey writes from the heart about the way these lies infected his own parenting, and illuminates the Bible's powerful truths that counter each lie. Both Biblical and practical, each section ends with home activities to help parents take immediate steps to develop their kids' character–character that lasts when they leave home. The last chapters focus on the most important adjustments parents must make with teenagers to prepare them for independence. Weaving humor into strong warnings, Parenting Unchained points out the hazards that derail the parenting journey.
There are ten deceitful principles of modern days parenting spread out by satan to shackle Christian parents. Each of the which is discussed in separated chapters. Dr. Dempsey tells us to rely on God and scripture to get our parenting role protected and controlled under God's grace. The 10 deceptions are as follows:
- The Foundation for Parenting,
- The Lie of Self Reliance,
- God Only Cares About Rules,
- You Can Be A Parent Without Investing Much Time,
- Teaching the Right Information is Enough,
- Why and How You Discipline Don't Matter-Just Make Them Obey,
- You Don't Need to Talk About Your Faith,
- Children Should Choose Their Life Course (You Don't Need to Help Them),
- It's All About Consistency,
- Life Should Be Easy
I myself believed on at least one of those lies. Once I read the thought of the lie, I just feel so embarrassed. There are a lot of things I have learnt in this book.
- I feel that I need to be more consistent with involving God so I will be led to the right way.
- Parenting is not always about teaching and talking, but it is about being a model for children.
- Building relationship with children is much more important than the rules.
- It is nonsense about the quality time that the modern days parents always mention. The real number presence in parenting is also a matter. It is like how God model us.
- It is not enough for children obeying what their parents say and being discipline, but they also need to know what happen behind the discipline.
- Talking about the faith is very important for children. By regular discussion about faith, children will feel how faith is something real.
- Children need help to be independent in choosing their life decision.
- We need to talk to children about how difficult it is living on the real world. The problem is not always physical things, but it is also difficult to defend our faith.
I would like to recommend that all parents with any level of ages reading this great book if you still want to pursue the arts of parenting, especially parenting in Christian belief. As I said earlier, the parenting style might change. To make some suitable and proper change, we should ask God to accompany us. Parenting Unchained: Overcoming the Ten Deceptions that Shackle Christian Parents will help us to involve God in our parenting.
To purchase the book, you might click the picture bellow: