We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Bringing children to the places of worship is not always an easy work for parents. Here are some tips to get them to the place of worship more peacefully. I mention in any of notes about us that we are a Catholic family. Hold on, I am not going to be so fanatic to show off our religious site as I am aware a lot of readers are not a Catholic, but some of you, I am really sure, belong to certain religion. Whatever your religion is, going to place of worship should be a suggestion. It is even a rule for the followers in some religions.Well, in this posting, I would like to share about how we bring our children to church since they were infants. There are various possibilities and rules for each religion and each family about how old someone can attend worships. All of our children were baptized since they were 1 month old. That was the first time they went to church. It must be a ridiculous decision for some people to baptize or to choose a certain religion for infants that still don’t understand at all about any word. Anyway, we just decide it as both of my
Well, in this posting, I would like to share about how we bring our children to church since they were infants. There are various possibilities and rules for each religion and each family about how old someone can attend worships. All of our children were baptized since they were 1 month old. That was the first time they went to church. It must be a ridiculous decision for some people to baptize or to choose a certain religion for infants that still don’t understand at all about any word. Anyway, we just decide it as both of my husband and I are Catholics and we would like to take the resposibility as a Catholic. If you are interested to know the more detail reasons, you might see the long articles here.Here are some beautiful and dreadful stories and tips along with
Here are some beautiful and dreadful stories and tips along with bring children to church:My husband and I chose the earliest hour of Sunday mass with some reasons. First of all, it was the coldest time of the day. I just thought that would be the most comfortable time as there won’t be as many people as the other times. Moreover,
My husband and I chose the earliest hour of Sunday mass with some reasons. First of all, it was the coldest time of the day. I just thought that would be the most comfortable time as there won’t be as many people as the other times. Moreover, 05:30AM suited my babies’ morning hour. So, both of us have to wake up early in the morning to prepare everything. It was really hard especially for me, who is a late owl. However, we had to do this for their comfortability. Only having 1 baby, it was not really a big problem, but having 2 under 5 years old kids and 1 baby was very terrible. We just did it because we feel responsible to the decision we had made to get the kids closer to God. We believe that the words of God and all the tradition that our church have would be able to be absorbed by an infant. We believe that God love kids more than anything. That is one of the hardest parts.
Some notes for those who want to bring kids to worship place:
- Arrange the food time or milk time properly so it doesn’t take place during the mass or worship. If you are nursing, find a place that is safe and private. This one is the most difficult one, but the effect will be incredible. Right now i often see parents bring some biscuits, cake or any snack and drink inside the church during the mass. It must have been a habit from early time. For me, having just 1-2 hour mass is a kind of time scarification. We have 24/7 hours. Giving up our time for a once week worship should be done the best. I had to wake up at 4AM to avoid giving milk during the early mass, but kids have been used to avoid drinking milk or having meals during mass until now. Kids will have an alarm inside their mind. If he or she is sick and need some drink, prepare it in the car or any other part of the place where is not disturbing.
- If you have a choice, choose the most comfortable time for children going to worship place. Adjust which one is suitable with your condition. Think about the weather or temperature, the audience, the length of the worship, etc.
- Prepare the baby’s or toddler’s bag at night before the mass because it will make the preparation time shorter. We don’t need preparing the baby equipment last minutes before the mass, so that we can focus ourself preparing the kids. For older children, preparing their bible, book, clothes, worship equipment night before, so that it will get us manage the time better.
- When the babies are crying or the children are not controlled, going to the back or to the gate will bean alternative. The worse action will be going outside to get them calmed down. It must be very annoying us. However, this is just going to be temporary moment. Children won’t be at this same stage. They are growing and getting more cooperative.
- Get kids sit or stay around you and minimize their voice as much as possible (not running around) whatever happens. You can prevent them for unnecessary action by preparing some religious pictures or books for them to get busy. Books and picture still can get them hearing what the priest says and listening to the songs or liturgy. However, I don’t recommend drawing or writing which can move their mind away.
- For children who have been able to talk, we can anticipate their manner at home or on the way to the worship place. Get them think about their manner previously.
- If the children are mature enough, a discussion about the importance to watch their manner in public place generally and places of worship specifically.
- Older children can have a rehearsal sometimes in a special time. Special practice of worshipping is also important so that children can be involved in the worship actively. As a result, they will forget how to make chaos 😉 . It really demands parents to discipline themselves.
- Giving examples for children in manner should work well with children since they were small. Don’t expect the result shown in the short time.
- Make going to worship places as a special time. For example, having a handbag for each, comb their hair tidily, etc.
At the moment my children are getting better and better. They start to be able to response spontaneously all of the time, sing beautifully, listen to the priest attentively (not daydreaming as they ask questions soon) if we accompany them. Otherwise, they still tend to giggle and tease each other. This is a huge homework for my husband and I to reduce their teasing each other and giggling. However, we are aware that education is a journey. It takes time to get children really embrace their faith and religion. I think not only children, even adults have the same problem.