We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Reading is one important skill that cannot be built at one time using certain magic formula at a night. Learners need to build it up one step at a time with patience to do the reading activities day by day. However, the influence of the electronic screens is most of the time stronger than the reading habits. They are just like demons for the modern children to grow the love of reading.
Reading between The Grammar and Logical Stages
- The primary learners or the grammar stage children still have easier language and content to comprehend
- Their reading is not too long. They can finish it in shorter time.
- Younger children still let parents accompany them reading and mostly.
However, it is very challenging to track and verify teens reading books.
- Teenage children often feel that they have already got a privacy and it is very bothering that parents still want to track what they are reading and to verify whether they have finished reading properly or not.
- On the other hand, the reading material for the teens is usually much longer and more complicated (especially if it is in English as we are not native English speakers).
- In addition, they have been in the logic stage so they need and show more logical thinking to comprehend the reading.
This year we have 2 teenagers with us. Therefore, the problem is getting double now. I would like to thank Reading Portfolio to help me track and verify teens reading. I received the product for free. I am compensated for my time. All opinions are honest, and I am not required to post a positive review.
What is Reading Portfolio?
Reading Portfolio is a great new way to track and credential independent reading and to build a portfolio of books read for college applications. It is Available to students 13 and older, Reading Portfolio credits students for every book they read and every quiz they pass on our site. RP allows students to build a score that reflects the depth and breadth of their reading history and shows college admissions officers that students are well-read. What they need to do are:
- Reading a book
There are some books provided in the library with the ready to take quizzes.
- Take the quiz in camera
The use of camera will make sure that children are under supervision when they are doing the quiz. No book and clue allowed during the quiz.
- Earn points to show college
Each book has different points to attain when children pass reading it. It depends on the level of difficulty.
- Collect their result in the account dashboard as a portfolio.
Children can see the reading score and achievement in the account dashboard.
How Does Reading Portfolio Work in Our Family?
Well, we are not a native English speakers and we don't live in the United States or other country that will receive such kind of portfolio. We also don't plan to move overseas. However, I feel that Reading Portfolio has a huge help for building up reading challenge and habits for our children.
- Reading Portfolio library has a range collection of books with undoubtedly qualified to enjoy. Children will have a desire to finish all of them since they believe the displayed books should be great books. They will have target of what they need to finish reading later. The points they get will be accumulate to achieve certain title for certain achievement.
- The quizzes only take 10 minutes to take. There are only 2 attempts allowed for each book before the system reset it periodically. During the 10minutes they are supervised by the camera so they have to make sure that they do the best to finish the short quizzes. Having such unique challenge, children are proud of themselves to pass the quiz.
- The best things of all are how Reading Portfolio helps me as a parent to choose the books for children to read in their levels. For us who don't have any library with good books, we don't have any books to choose and to borrow. We have to purchase by online or to get books in the bookstore. In addition, it is not easy to find good books to read for teens. Reading portfolio has got a collection of books to quiz so that we just choose the titles included in the library.
- Well, I don't need to go after them asking whether they have read books or ask questions to verify they have understood and finished the books. Reading Portfolio will verify that they finish reading the books.
For the benefits we have with the Reading Portfolio, I recommend parents of teens to subscribe to Reading Portfolio.
How Can You Get Reading Portfolio Subscription?
Reading Portfolio are available in two options to subscribe.
- one year subscription $15.95
- ten year subscription $24.95
You can upgrade the subscription from one year to ten years. Visit Reading Portfolio for more information about the program.
Follow Reading Portfolio In Social Media
To know more about Reading Portfolio and the latest news, you might follow it:
Just for 10 days, Reading Portfolio is giving away FREE one year subscriptions to 25 entrants. Widget closes 8/27/2015 11:00 pm EST. Who knows that you would have great luck to win the prize.
Adelien Tan is a mother of three awesome boys and a wife of a great husband. They are a home education family who live in Surabaya, Indonesia, where home education is still very rare. English is her foreign language, but She tries to use it in blogging.