We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Growing up boys will never be separated from regular sports program. It is a very urgent need to fulfil their moving desire and to get them fit. We always evaluate kids physical and social activities to make sure they have a balance life. We try to suit the program with children’s need and interest.
Last year Ken and Tom participated in a basketball club for kids and they enjoyed the club well. This year they switch their sport into swimming. There are some reasons for us to fall our choice to swimming.
- First of all, swimming is one part of safety skill. We live in an archipelago country. It means that we have a lot of water area around. Having swimming skill will add self safety in the “watery area” in case there is any accident or disaster happen.
- Not only for self safety, having swimming skills will make us possible to save others in the water like swimming pool, bay, or any possibilities.
- Swimming is one kind of sports that can support our socialization activities in business, family events, and a lot of gathering. It is a must to be able to do it, I think. It would be different if you have some problems with health and trauma.
- We see that swimming has balance movement and it trains all parts of the body, including intensive breathing therapy, upper and lower parts altogether, and concentration as well. I know that other sports might have done so, but swimming does all of the things under the water, so the pain is not really hard for kids. In addition, it is nice to stay under the water or in the water in this very incredibly hot weather.
- Swimming can grow both competition and cooperation sense strongly in a well discipline attitudes.
Ken and Tom started to get swimming lesson when they were 5 and 6 years old in a private coach. I can swim with only breast stroke style, but I cannot train them regularly at that time so I just enrolled them to a private coach. They could do some breast stroke with very bad movement so they could not swim in a long time. Both their movement and breathing were not right and bad. They took the training for one whole year with monthly fee around Rp. 200.000,00 (US$20 approximately)/month with 4 times lessons excluding the entrance fee Rp. 30.000,00 (US$ 3 approximately)/entrance. In one month I paid Rp. 320.000,00 for each kid (US$32 approximately) with awful result. Therefore we just stopped thinking that it might be not the right time to train swimming for my children.
When Jim turned into 5 years old I just got an information about the public state swimming pool and club. I enrolled him in February 2013 and I need to wait until May 2013 to get a place. We were so excited waiting for the invitation from the club. It is a really cheap swimming pool and training club. We only need to pay Rp. 200.000,00 (around US$20) for the first administration fee and monthly Rp. 175.000,00 (around US$17.5) for 3 times a week training (a total of 12 lessons and entrance fee included) It cost half of the previous training with more facility. Jim was invited on May 2013. Ken and Tom went after that.
The swimming club builds up a lot of swimming athletes. There are some levels in the two pools. I am not clear with the criteria of each. I just know that level one is for the beginner or those who are trained for the leg movement in free style. When the leg movement has been well mastered, the swimmers will move to level two with more challenging power ability and focus on hand movement for free style. I am really not sure about the other levels.
Tom has moved to level 2 as soon as he finished his third month. It was pretty fast as I heard others normally pass level 1 in around 7 to one year lesson. I was very surprised that he could do it very well. I couldn’t believe it, so I rechecked with the administration. The coach praised him a lot that made me proud of him. Ken and Jim are still staying in level 1. I never compared them as each has their own strengths and weaknesses.
Here are some pictures of the swimming pool:
I feel and think that we have got the right place to train children swimming recently. Hopefully they can get the best benefits from this activity. Mens sana in corpore sano (a healthy mind in a healthy body).