We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Mapping activity is not the only way of teaching about the world, continent, and country. There are some other exciting World, Continent and Country Study Teaching Ideas to create exciting and fun Geography activities. Geography has been a great subject for us to explore the world, the continents, and the countries on the planet Earth where we live.
This year we use North Star Geography with the Wonder Map to help us doing the exploration. They are a great combination with a lot of hands-on, mapping, and research activities. Using those resources, I would like to share some activities you might find in the program and those that I got from mind mapping. Here are 30 World, Continent and Country Study Teaching Ideas
Before that, I would like to share some wonderful books to help you explore the world, the continents, and the countries. You might need to check them out
The Kingfisher Geography Encyclopedia (Kingfisher Encyclopedias)The Usborne Geography Encyclopedia: With Complete World AtlasGeography: A Visual EncyclopediaGeography of the World: The Essential Family Guide to Geography and CultureGeography Coloring Book (3rd Edition)Around the World Coloring Book (Dover History Coloring Book)Maps Activity Book
30 Ideas to Explore The World, The Continents, and The Countries
Exploring the World
Exploring the world is one way to know the world in a big picture. Here are some main activities that you might adopt:
- Recognizing the imaginary lines will be more engaging if we do it through drawing. Drawing the lines on the outline world map with colorful pens will be very helpful for the visual learners. Rather than memorizing with list of words, The appearance of colorful ink on a piece of outline map will make the concept clearer.
- Browsing the facts of the world will make learners appreciate the creation of God. The activities involved can be through watching the video, looking up some information about the wonders of the world, and skimming around the most of things of world physical features.
- Whole world mapping activities can get learners familiar with the physical features of the world. Some basic knowledge of continents, oceans, and time zones recognition of the world can be achieved in the whole world mapping activities. More detail study of landforms, weather, climate, and seasons might be integrated with earth science.
Exploring the Continents
- Getting more detail in exploring the world is done by focusing on continent by continent. Drawing a thematic map of each continent will let learners observe the distribution of things, comparing the condition of countries, getting knowledge of the neighbourhood in continents.
- Without drawing, comparing and contrasting can be done by browsing any source of information. It is time for research activities. An outcome of worksheet might be considered old fashioned and boring, but during skimming, none knows what learners think in their mind. They might find some amazing facts through some wow moments.
- For middle school learners, memorizing countries and capital cities can be made some interesting activities. It is also great to compare countries in continents since they might have similarities and differences in features and even the general physical appearance of people live in.
Country Study Teaching Ideas
There are a lot of activities to engage learners in exploring countries. Here are some country study teaching ideas:
- Cooking some traditional food of the countries
- Eating foods from the countries
- Singing some folk songs
- Researching the landmarks of the countries
- Learning some common vocabulary, like how to say hello, numbers, colours, etc.
- Getting to know some myths and legends.
- Researching some famous people
- Discussing about the political and current events of the countries.
- Wearing and describing traditional clothes in the countries.
- Drawing the flags of the countries
- Researching the animals and plants in the countries.
- Describing or drawing the farming system
- Practicing traditional dance
- Having pen pals from the countries
- Watching some dramas or movies related with the countries
- Creating a tourism brochure
- Making a puzzle of the country's map based on the provinces or states
- Having some field trip to any related countries' object.
- Learning about holidays and festivals.
- Modeling some unique cultural traditions or celebrations
- All mapping activities. For example:
- Tracing the map
- Locating places on the map
- drawing a thematic map of the country
- scaling the map