We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Our homeschooling lesson planning might look pretty neat and organised. However, we have never been free from some interruption or disturbance during the schooling hours. Therefore, we sometimes don't finish the lessons on time. Here are some interruption and disturbance:
- The most common interruption happens when I have a guess coming for business matters. It takes approximately 15 minutes to serve. I try to minimise meeting people coming home, but sometimes I cannot avoid it. The problem is that kids will start joking and giggling when I leave them. We always discuss about this manner soon after the guess leaves or before going to bed.
- Once in a month I need to have some orders or business chatting with my colleague overseas. Kids can work alone, but they have to pending some works that need my help and some grouping work.
- Some noise from our surrounding sometimes annoy us a lot, especially when the new room building period. We have to cover our ears with our fingers. We cannot avoid this disturbance as we also cannot go out as there are people working and they need some supervision too. We just go on with the lesson. If we come into reading aloud or reading together, I just try to get them reading silently and use some gestures. It looks funny.
- Kids sometimes misbehave and it leads us to a long discussion afterward. It might replace one subject hour. In this case, I cannot continue the lesson as character education is more important than academic one. Academic progress can be achieved anytime, but character education needs to start early in life.
- Some relatives turn up when we are having lessons. Their cousins usually visit to ask them play. For this purpose usually I would like to get them finish their lesson and make another appointment. We live close so there won't be any problem to pending the meeting. Their mother usually understands well.
- Either one or both of us are not in a good mood or don't feel well. There is a time when I cannot control my emotion so that I get high tempered and sensitive. There is also a time when kids look restless or lack of sleep. First, I would like to try my best to handle my emotion and their problem. We would go along if it is bearable, but I would like to postpone the lessons or they would like to do independent lesson. It is useless to continue the lesson in that situation. We can change the time into afternoon or evening session with shorter and more pleasant situation rather than continuing it with awful circumstance.
- When other homeschoolers or guess come in the unexpected time or without any appointment, we still accept them and change our lesson on another time. We will be very happy to share with them and try to make appointment next time.
- Unscheduled holiday, emergency matters, or family events sometimes happen outside our expectation. We would like to be flexible and adjust our lessons to another time.
- Our concentration is sometimes distracted when somebody passes by as we live with many people and we learn in an open area or not in a room. We would like to stop or pause a moment until the distraction finishes. When we cannot finish our target, we would do it individually or move the lesson on the next time. Usually we use Saturday as finishing time if available.
- Great patience is really needed whenever someone calls any of us for something. We pause for this thing and try to talk nicely to the caller.
The great thing about homeschooling is the flexibility. Sometimes people don't understand about this. People said that our schedule is either too crowded or too loose. The right thing is that, we are flexible.
How about you? How are you going to be disturbed in learning or working? If you are a homeschooler, how are you going to be disturbed?
Adelien Tan is a mother of three awesome boys and a wife of a great husband. They are a home education family who live in Surabaya, Indonesia, where home education is still very rare. English is her foreign language, but She tries to use it in blogging.