We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
There are several methods of homeschooling that can be applied by families. There are not any best homeschooling method since every family is unique. It is pretty hard to choose which one that is suitable for you. Even when we have pointed to certain homeschooling method, we still might change.
Unit Studies are wonderful tools to engaged children in learning by exploring topics through subjects and free or fun activities. With certain topic, children can learn several skills and gain more specific knowledge about it.
An example of the application of unit study method is the deep exploration of certain topics. When you have a unit about pirate, then you might discuss it in terms of:
- History - The types of piracy from time to time and how it is developed to the modern form.
- Science - The imporance of astronomy toward piracy navigation
- Language Arts - Reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, play a drama, write a letter to pirates, learn the biography of famous pirates, etc
Do you see how the lessons become very fun when kids are engaged with the topic in several subjects?
- Unit studies can be merged with other homeschooling methods as well, like classical, Charlotte Mason, and direct delight. We can use several ways to deliver the lessons with the topics.
- The skills or knowledge has more relevant context.
- Both kids and teachers/parents might forget that they are learning as the unit has engaged them a lot in the learning process.
- Unit studies are perfect for homeschooling with multiple ages. There will be seamless grade levels during the lessons.
Tips for Unit Study Application
Here are some tips that will be helpful in homeschooling with unit study method:
- Don't leave the objectives.
Learners are often too overwhelmed with the topics so they forget the objectives of learning the units. Some skills are not covered well just for the fun of the units. Therefore, don't leave the learning objectives.
- Get prepared.
The more you prepare for the units, the better they will work for you and your children. Since you handle several areas of learning with a single topic, you need to make sure that can access all of the materials needed easily.
- Avoid integrating irrelevant subject.
Some skill subjects cannot be integrated into the unit coincidentally. Mathematics is one subject that is not always flexible for integration. It will be awkward to involve it in a unit study.
- Get some relevant field trips
Some relevant field trips will be great to add more engagement in your unit study. Prepare your field trips properly so they can support the units.
- Find the expert
Search the best person to explore your topic better. There must be somebody who is better than you to explain the topic in depth. Find the expert for your children to learn about the topics. More specific knowledge from the experts will be
Are you thinking of trying the unit study method? Plan your unit study with my planner. Follow the steps and you will get the experience:
Today, I am very happy to share with you some wonderful tips and lists of fantastic unit studies from some blog posts in Family Fun Friday link up party I love.If you are new to Family Fun Friday, let me explain. Each week my friends, Monica, Adrian, Herschel and I throw this link party. We invite other bloggers to our blogs to share their best family friendly posts. These are some wonderful articles from around the web in the following categories: Encouraging Posts for Moms, Recipes, Family Fun, Craft and Homeschooling. We then pick our favorites and feature them during the next week’s link party. Take a look around and visit some of our awesome blogging friends. If you are looking for the best tips, links, resources, freebies and more – you’ve come to the right place! Family Fun Friday is all about connecting as a family. We feature great ideas for family fun, and things to help moms get things done so they have more time to spend doing what they love to do – be with family! Welcome to our community!
- Alice in Wonderland Unit Study at Little Blog in The Country. I am a non-native English speaker. I started to read English when I was in high school. Alice in Wonderland was the first book I read. What a fabulous fantasy literature. Love it so much. Thank you for such useful unit study to introduce the great literature to children in fun ways.
- DIY Star Wars Shooting Games at Atta Girl Says. Having fun with the Star Wars shooting games will be a wonderful activity to engage children in their Star Wars unit studies. This everlasting fantasy theme has attracted people from young to old aged.
- Montessori-Inspired Dinosaurs Unit Study at Every Star is Different. Dinosaurs is a favorite unit study for children around the world. It is not that easy to collect, to select, and to arrange resources to meet the children’s needs. Thank you very much for your hard work to help parents with this topic.
- More Than 50 Pirate Activities for Kids at Crystal and Co. Wahoo… such a beautiful round-up posts. Which children don’t like the fun pirate topic? Boys will fall for it. Thank you very much for sharing
- More Dragon Fun! Kenny and The Dragon Review and Fun Activities at Jump into A Book Dragons are wonderful mysterious species to explore in many cultures and subjects. The bread making will give more fun for kids. I am sure kids will love it.
- Free Printable Shark Activities at Stella 123 Shark topic is very popular for both fiction and non-fiction versions. Here is a couple of free unique printable activities.
Meet Family Fun Friday Hostesses
Monica created Family Fun Friday and blogs at HappyandBlessedHome.comwhere she shares, easy recipes, free preschool tools and printables, encouraging words for moms, and ideas for having fun together as a family. Follow: Blog / Facebook /Pinterest / Twitter /Google + /Bloglovin’/Instagram. Monica will round-up all the Family Fun Friday posts.
Adrian blogs at AdriansCrazyLife.com. She blogs about parenting teenagers, organizing, personal finance tips, and ideas on using Pinterest effectively. Facebook.com/AdriansCrazyLife / Pinterest.com/AdriansCrazyLif/ Twitter.com/AdriansCrazyLif/ Instagram.com/AdriansCrazyLif, and https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/adrians-crazy-life-3181798 Adrian will feature organizing and tips on saving money.
Adelien Tan is a mother of three awesome boys and a wife of a great husband. English is her foreign language, but She tries to use it in blogging. You might visit her in Blessed Learners where she shares some thought, experience, and information about homeschooling, family, parenting, blogging, and personal growth.
COME SEE THE REST OF THE FEATURES AT
To PIN a specific blogger’s post please click through and pin directly from their site. If you’re a mom keep reading because we have some wonderful fun ideas to inspire you with your little ones and family. My blogging friends are linking up craft ideas, fun in the kitchen, preschool & homeschool ideas, and ways to spend time as a family.
My blog is growing but I need your help, please like my facebook page or PIN a button and help spread the word about Blessedlearners.com. Thanks so much. If you enjoy the features on Family Fun Friday please leave me a comment, I would love to hear from you! If you see things that you like here – please PIN them on Pinterest! If you PIN these lists it will help this blogging party grow.
Thanks to all my blogging friends for linking up last week at Family Fun Friday. So many great ideas, crafts and things to do! If you link up, you permit me to use your pictures/ideas as part of future posts and/or social media. Now on to some fabulous posts for moms. Thanks again for all your wonderful ideas! I hope these Family Friendly and Fun ideas inspire you.
Make sure you visit Happy and Blessed Home to see all of our features this week and to welcome our new co-hosts!
P.S. Bloggers – If you’ve been featured and would like to add a button to show off how awesome you are, just grab the code in the text box below. You’ll want to retype the quotes too if you’re having trouble getting it to show on your page. 😉
LINK your Family Friendly & Fun Ideas:
Here is the link list, please add yours below. Thanks for linking up! Linkers will be added to the e-mail reminder I send for this party. Thank you. If you are having trouble linking, please leave your link in the comments section and I will manually add it. Thanks!