We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Well, it is more than one year since we started our homeschooling officially. Our first and second sons have grown up without going to school for fifteen months. Our youngest son is going join officially in the middle of this year. Many people ask me to rethink again of putting him out of school. Sometimes I feel uncertain too about this.
I just finish my vacation with mom and dad to Hongkong. I saw flocks of students there going around the street in uniforms. I asked my Cantonese friend about schooling in Hongkong. She said that parents put their children to school because they are afraid of guilty if they don't. On the other hand, what I saw in the students' faces were exhaustion. I felt worried about this. Have I been too egoistic not schooling my sons?
I reread my own writing about Why We Homeschool. I refreshed my mind. I started evaluating how different the older sons now after these moments.
1. They have been able to do their chores faster and better. They know how to clean their bed, to use the broom, to mop, and to clean up their clothes storage. I don't think they will have time to do this when they go to school. However, they still need to have more time awareness in finishing it. People say this is not important. When I was a child, the maid did those things for me. When my husband was a child, he had no maid. He did those things by himself, but of course his life style was also different.
2. Ken and Tom have built more logical mathematics in their life most of the time. They apply their academical knowledge in their life naturally and enjoyably. I don't say that they can't do that when people go to school. When they have more “life time”, they will have more awareness of using what they have in their brain to their real life. We talk and discuss a lot about money, how to use money for buy and charity.
3. In Social life, they said surprisingly that they can have more friends right now than it was. I can't believe their statement before I compare them with other boys in any social activities they take part. They introduce themselves much more confidently than those schooling boys or it was before. They open their mind to more people rather than separate themselves within groups.
4. When I checked their work and notes, I found that they can show what they have in their mind much better in written form. They can restate their knowledge in free writing form with more complex sentences and vocabulary in both Bahasa and English. Moreover, they look very proud explaining their friends about atom and things that haven't been learnt at school. It motivates them to inquire more and more.
5. They can work much faster and more academically so they have more playing time. Even when they have test, the knowledge they have learnt just come out automatically from their mind with a bit reviewing. They have known the procedures and expectation much better normally, although they still have to improve the time awareness and work quality.
6. Ken and Tom have gained some progress achievement in skill areas. They can type and use computer well. Tom shows very well progress in capoeira. He won consolation rank in drum competition. He can concentrate better in drawing. Ken has finished his piano prep test, although I still have to control his practice time everyday. At least he has time to do it. Who knows how he can use his piano skill in the future. He is not a prodigy or well talented, but he wants to learn. Both of them enjoy their basketball time very well and I can see that their movement is much better. They eat a lot, learn a lot, and play a lot.