We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Continuing the previous posting about tricky questions, It comes to my mind that my sons, the eldest one especially the eldest one, have just started their stages of puberty. This posting can be very long when it is explained scientifically. I just try to share what I am doing now.
Puberty might be still a long way for your children at the moment, but it is coming sooner or later. Some parents might not have any preparation for their children like what my mother in law did, but some parents might want or have done some preparation to help their children facing that surprising stage of growth. Puberty is a natural stage and process that all adults should have experienced it whether they want it happens or not. It is just the same thing as being old.
- The first change I can see from my son, Ken, is his hormonal change. He starts having acne on his forehead. I didn't see it at first as most of it is hidden by his hair. When I struck his hair which I didn't do normally, some groups of lumps on his forehead look very horrible. Thinking about my father, sister, and cousins who have a lot of acne on their face, I don't want or would like to minimize this nightmare happens to my sons. Well, I consulted this skin problem with my friend who is a dermatologist. She suggested me to clean his face regularly with 3 step method from Clinique. I dont want kids get inferior just because of acne. At least his face is not so terrible.
- Unpleasant smell of body sweat is really annoying. Even he can smell it by himself. Some people have herbal to prevent or to reduce this symptom. I get my son drink a lot of water so the rotten hormone can be reduced as the hormone is thrown away with the urine and kidney.
- Rapid growth and blowing up apetite. About the last one year, Ken has grown very rapidly. His shirt and trousers sizes are almost the same as mine. The physical growth is supported a lot by his enormous apetite. Of course it makes me proud in one side, but worried about the food serving and his body shape. I purchase more cartons of milk as a stock of emergency. He also tries to serve his own food. He also has 4 hours wushu training and 2.5 hours swimming training to burn his calori and to shape his body. Moreover, Sports will make him more discipline. Eating healthy food will support his body health.
- Ken has unstable attitude and manner. Sometimes he looks like a little boy as he loves cartoon and comic, but sometimes he start to be curious with girls he met. I need to play role as his best friend that is going to be ready whenever he asks, needs comfort, feels worried, shows excitement, etc. I do really enjoy this time. He shares a lot of discussion anytime with me.
- Both of my eldest sons start to pay attention to their physical performance. They always say that they want to look handsome and attractive. I purchase some wet gel for their hair, more stylish shoes and clothes. Getting them comb their hair after shower. I also remind them that what make them handsome and attractive are not only their physical appearance, but also their skills and characters. Now they start to say please, thank you, help, and sorry more frequently and nicely.
- Now they have understood a few about human reproductive system and how important their reproductive organs are. Therefore they clean their penis more regularly to prevent disease.
- Ken starts to get interested in gender which is female. I just keep smiling when he talks a lot about his new female friends. I also show my curiosity to his story. Having this topic for discussion is really pleasant.
- I bought him a book about puberty:
American Medical Association Boy's Guide to Becoming a Teen. There is also the girl books:American Medical Association Girl's Guide to Becoming a Teen
I really thank God that my sons can grow normally and healthily. I should not get angry with them easily as they are the great gift from God.
Adelien Tan is a mother of three awesome boys and a wife of a great husband. They are a home education family who live in Surabaya, Indonesia, where home education is still very rare. English is her foreign language, but She tries to use it in blogging.