We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Homeschool is one way to gain the freedom of learning for children. Children can learn whatever they want, based on their needs and ability. Parents can customize what, how, when, and where they learn. Sometimes, children can also take part in customizing their own learning. Some children are really motivated and organized in their learning by nature, but many of them need huge helps from parents.
- Children still need reminders to do schooling works.
- They won’t stop playing or watching the television unless parents stop them.
- They need help to control their time, especially to get balance between learning and playing.
That is not bad at all. Children love playing naturally and they will learn as well when they play and watch.
However, the freedom in homeschooling cannot be misused by either parents and children. In many cases, parents will love their children and they want them to get the best from homeschooling, but the lack of control in homeschool will make children left behind from the standard. There are many facts that homeschooled children have better achievement than schooled children. Well, that is not something absolute. On the other hand, being left behind from the standard will make the potential of children lost.
What is Tracking Homeschool?
Tracking homeschool means:
- Planning your homeschool in more detail steps.
- Follow the plan and put some checks on things you have done.
- Add more in your to do list plan so that you know your next step.
- Record children learning.
What is NOT Tracking Homeschool about?
Many people think that tracking homeschool is something strict and scary.
- It is not something scary that will tight both children and parents to follow. It is just a tool to help. Be careful not to make 7 mistakes in planning your homeschool
- Tracking homeschool is not always dealing with the textbooks. It can use any method as long as it is helpful for directing the learning activities.
- It doesn’t mean you do school at home. Learning still can be done wherever, whenever, and whichever ways you feel comfortable. The only difference is that you know what, why, and how you are going to learn.
- Tracking Homeschool doesn’t limit fun activities. We still can do cooking, nature study, field trips, etc. What makes it different is that we put those activities in a schedule that can be tracked.
The Importance of Tracking Homeschool
Therefore, tracking homeschool is very important for any homeschool method.
- This is a way parents can help children to plan their learning, so children will have more direction to their learning.
- By tracking homeschool, both parents and children will know what they have achieved and what they can do better.
- Parents can do other works rather than getting procrastinated preparing children.
- Children will be more independent and responsible in their learning.
- Learning will be more meaningful when children know what, why, and how they learn.
- Preparing the standardized exam is much easier when we have planned.
How We Track Our Homeschool
We keep changing the way of tracking our homeschool. We have tried several ways to do it:
- Using traditional pen and paper
The first couple of years, we use several pen and paper to plan and to track our homeschool. We use a few pages of paper planner for certain things right now. If you are using pen and paper to track your homeschool, you can download our Homeschool Planner 2017 for FREE. Fill in the form at the bottom of this post and a download link will be emailed.
- Using Online Homeschool planner
For the last couple of years, we use pure online homeschool planner and we feel it is very suitable for us. We pay some fees, but it works for us very well.
- Using a combination of online and paper planner documentation
Start from this year, we don’t use online homeschool planner purely, but we combine it by printing out the report for our documentation. We use Homeschool Tracker for tracking homeschool online and offline.
On the next post, I will tell you more about our latest tool for tracking homeschool, Homeschool Tracker.