We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
How many times a day do you have meals together with your husband and children? We have twice and a half times having meals together. Breakfast we always miss Jim, the youngest son as he has to finish earlier at 6:30AM to go to school. His class starts at 7.00AM. After dropping Jim at school, four of us have breakfast together. Lunch time is the first time to have five of us around the oval table. After we have finished or almost finished our schooling time, we have meals together. We share each other what has happened during the morning and afternoon. Dinner is quite noisy for us to enjoy our food and listening to each other about some short story of our days.
Having meals together as a family is one thing that make me want to be a working at home mom. It might be very chaos and noisy when my children was still very small, but this is a very precious moment that I always missed when I had to leave my family for working outside. If you have already had this tradition as a family I think ut is great to keep it as not everyone has a chance to have meals together. I didn't have any chance to have meals together and it was just a dream to have one. It is a simple things that give a color to my life story. It is a bless that I am grateful for.
- Having Meals at home together is more healthy. There isn't any MSG in the food ingredients. We also can combine all the nutrition needed, carbohydrate, protein, fat, mineral, and vitamin. We can get the vegetable, meat, and fruit in balance. We will have a definitely menu that suit our need. We are not worried whether the food contains gluten or not as kids are gluten free.
- We build communication and togetherness during the meal time. Meal time is the time for our family to share stories each other. kids learn how to communicate, how to recall their story, how to comment to others, and how to listen properly. Togetherness is usually built up during the meal time. A sense of solidarity to support each other after listening what others have shared has built a great solidarity as a family among us. We share both the great and the bad things of the day that we have done.
- It is much more frugal to have meal time together at home rather than outside. Eating outside has its own “arts” and we do it once in a week for the most frequent time. However, eating at home will help us to save our money. Even when we purchase the menu outside sometimes. We don't need to buy beverage. We can make our own like a combination of ice cream and milk, milk shake, and fruit juice. They might taste the same with ones we purchase in the restaurant, but they have much more economic price and much fun as we make it together.
- Having meals together is a form of family education in table manner. We make the meal time as a way for parents to model and teach table manner to children. We might look like a police officer by observing our kids' table manner, but people can see the result when we eat outside or when we join other relatives or acquaintance's meal time or gathering. Kids learn how to hold spoon and fork, how to behave, and how to respect others.
- It can form a family identity and culture which is inherited from one generation to another generation. When we were children, both my husband and my family had a meal tradition with our own families. We just continue what our family has done with us as we had good memories having meal together. It enriches our experience as part of a family that we can share to others in the future.
- It is one way to serve each other. We learn and show serving each other in the meal time. I use to take some rice, meat, and vegetables to my husband and sons. When one of us need sauce, he will ask for help, while the other will pass it and replied with thanks. When the meal time finishes, one will put the dish in a pile while the other get all the glasses to wash. Everything is done as a group work.
Those are some having meal time benefits that were my dream for a long time ago.
What is the best thing that you like for having meal time together as a family at home?