We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Mathematics Fluency in Number Facts is very important to lay the foundation of logic to children since it was in the beginning. There are a lot of ways to do it.. Math drilling is questioned whether it is still important or not in the days of calculators and computers. With any arguments, the traditional mathematics facts to master in the elementary education are still needed to memorize. Well, children still have to build fluency in using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. All parents, teachers, and children will usually struggle a lot in getting fluence with the number facts. Those mathematics operations are the basic toward other advance concepts.
10 Tips for Mathematics Fluency in Number Facts
I am quite happy that all my children have passed that stage. Therefore, I would like to share some tips to mathematics fluency in number facts
- Make sure that children understand the concept
You can use the manipulatives, drawing, and application. You might need to have some examples to explain the concept. The real life problems usually work the best.
- Relate the facts and use them in the daily life
This is an ultimate learning method. The more problems they experience in the real life, the better they will understand the concept. When they often face the problems, they will come to fluency naturally.
- Use various drilling tools, either online or written
- Give them one by one fact:
- addition by 1, by 2, etc
- multiplication 1, 2, 3, etc
- subtraction and division are not usually given one by one as they are directly related to addition and multiplication (see the next point)
- Relate them at the same time.
It will give them shortcut to the word problems about decrease and increase. Addition and multiplication are related to something increase, while subtraction and division are related to something decrease. In this case, children will learn that:
- addition is related to the subtraction
- multiplication is related to the division
- Watch your children’s learning style.
When they love music, why don’t you make one together. If they like drawing, you will need to get the drilling opened ended with drawing.
- Recite the facts orally
I remember the way Chinese scholars learn in the movie. They recite things orally. I try to use it with my children and it works well.
- Get a poster, mini books, or flashcards to help children memorizing anytime and anywhere.
- Use games to help
The written drill of maths facts is boring easily. Kids will love playing games better. Get some board games of Maths to help
- Let children show off their ability in Maths fluency to other relatives so they will look more confident.
Today I would like to share a wonderful Android apps to build mathematics fluency in number facts developed by my friend, April Schroader from Homeschoolingapps.com. Her passion in developing this app is inspired by her children. She found that most mathematics curriculum doesn’t maintain the basic number facts to develop mathematics fluency. I completely agree with her. Whatever mathematics curriculum we use, we still need a tool to build the mathematics fluency for children in the primary levels of learning. I receive this application for free in exchange for honest review. I am an affiliate of Amazon, but all opinions are honest.
Smart Kids Learn is a series of apps that are really helpful for children to gain mathematics fluency.
- We can select from Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division.
- We can select fact number that kids want to work on (1 – 12) or Random facts
- We can hear the current fact
- There is teacher’s answer that we can make it available to find out if the answer is correct and try again if not
- We also can turn off the answers if we would prefer to use manipulatives to help child figure out the answer
- There isn’t any In App Purchases
- NO ADS
Why We Like This App
- Clean and easy to use
As I said previously, this app is clean. There isn’t any ads and images around. Therefore, it will maintain kids’ concentration.
- Not multiple choice
The answer is straight and exact. Kids cannot do “trial and error”. Therefore, they are trained to be fluent with exact answer.
With the features and benefits, this app is really affordable to purchase. It costs only $0.99 to get the great benefits for children the whole life.
As an Android app, Smart Kids Learn Their Math Facts can be carried and done in any android devices. We can bring it in trips, overnight stay, etc.
How to Get Smart Kids Learn Their Math Facts
This app is available in Amazon right now. and it is available in Google Play soon. Click the image bellow to check it out:
Follow Homeschooling Apps in Social Media
- Blog: http://homeschoolingapps.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/
How do you build mathematics fluency in number facts?
If you like this post, you might like: