We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Yay… We are coming to another academic year, 2014. You might visit how we look like last year. This year we still have two full homeschooled sons and one part time homeschooled son. Ken has already passed his elementary national standardization exam. The result was not very good, but being able to take the exam was a miracle for us. Our country is not friendly with pure homeschooling like we are doing at the moment. The government has a tendency to get the homeschooling children follow the tutorial sessions in certain institution appointed by the government. Homeschooling is seen as school at home by the government and most people. It really hurts our freedom of learning.Therefore, during the preparation of the exam, we worked very hard to catch the textbooks as it was demanded by the exam. Anyway, passing the exam is really a great joy for us.
This year, Tom will go for the same exam at the end of the academic year. Therefore, Tom will just go for common lesson half year. The rest of the year will be used for the exam preparation.
Well, we started our new academic year on July 14, 2014. It was the same with the public school here in Indonesia.
What makes school year different from the previous one are
- This year we have our own classroom that we can modify around. Half of the last year, schooling was held in no room so that we have to experience a lot of disturbance.
- This year we have a middle school (grade 7) and last year of elementary school (grade 6) students. We only have one real elementary school.
- We have later lesson hours. We used to start at 7, but now we start at 8. The kids don't go napping anymore. We change it with personal time. The might read or do work quietly.
- We start using pens more frequently, except for Maths. We used pencils most of the time last year.
- We have some online lessons such as writing and foreign languages.
- We renew all of our notebooking binder as the old ones have already been full. We planned ahead things included in the binders using more appropriate dividers.
- We use more blank notebooking pages to let children more creative using coloring or arts tools in notebooking activities.
Our goal this year will be:
- Like the previous year, we would like to get Tom, the 6th grader, to be able to pass the national standardization exam at the end of this academic year. Therefore, we have to prepare this together both the administration, the academic, and the mental preparation..
- We would like to enjoy our learning by doing regularly more experiments in Science, investigation in World History, and hands on activities in Geography..
- By the end of this school year, we hope all children pass their current levels of extra activities. It means that all of them would be promoted to higher level of swimming and scouting. Ken would be promoted to higher level of wushu and piano. Tom would be promoted to higher level of drawing and he can catch up his level in Capoeira. Jim can be promoted to higher level of piano.
Here are their pictures in the beginning of 2014-2015 academic year
Thank you for the last academic year, 2013-2014, that has given us a lot of things of life lessons. Please bless us in the new academic year, 2014-2015 , to study, to play, and to live with others.
Join our link up party with ihomeschool network by clicking this picture: