We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Language Arts is similar to mathematics since both of them are included into the skill lessons. They are the basics to other subjects. Therefore, it is not shocking that many learners have some daily language lesson since they are young.
Like mathematics, we might be confused about what kinds of notebooking activities language arts lessons can have. Occasionally, many people just consider filling in the blank worksheets as a notebooking pages. That is not wrong as notebooking can include worksheets basically. However, doing worksheets in the language arts, especially grammar and reading, might become something boring and forgettable when children have to do tons of worksheets. The close-ended questions will be far away from the application if they are done separately all of the time.
There are some interpretations on language arts as I know. This subject usually includes reading, writing, spelling, and grammar. They can be taught separately or blended as language arts subject units. Even some homeschooling methods don't have separated language arts lessons. Instead, they merge the language lessons with other lessons. Some people consider language lessons have included the literature. Whichever language lessons belong to, it is important to have a record on the language arts branches so that we know the progress of each branch.
What kind of records are available to cover in the notebooking activities? As a skill subject, I prefer to use multi purpose notebooking pages so that I can use them either separately or combined with other lessons
Literature – Reading
- Story Element Summary
This page will help us to get the whole picture of a story. Some information about character list, setting of time, setting of place, symbols, plot, theme or topics should be written on this page.
- Story Elements in detail for
- Problems – Solution
- Character Description
- Character list
- Character Changes
- Character Classification: Protagonist, Antagonist, Dynamic, Static, Major, Minor, Round, and Flat
- Types of Poem
- Types of Drama
Some literature theory about drama forms can be included in this page.
- Figurative Languages
There is a time for children to know more about the figurative language through some reading text. This page will help them to analyze and recognize one each.
- Author Study
It is a kind of biography lesson for author.
- Wisdom Words
From a reading text or book, readers can get some impressing words or sentences to copy.
- Reading Logs
Reading logs are used to list books children have read.
- Reading Journal
Reading journal will help readers to track their longer reading text such kind of novels.
Graphic organizers can be used to analyze reading text. A blank piece of notebooking page template can also be used to do some creative reading comprehension. It is similar with the creative writing prompts, but it doesn't make something new. Creative reading comprehension will use the reading text or books as a main resource. Here are some examples of the creative reading comprehension:
- Making a wanted poster for the main characters. In this prompt, an analysis of characters is done with a describing picture
- Converting the story into comic strips will help learners to practice changing the indirect sentences to the direct sentences. It will also help learners to pick the beginning, middle, and end parts of the reading text.
- Making a poster related to the reading requires a note taking to some details.
- Parts of Speech (Adjectives, Adverbs, Nouns, Verbs, Prepositions)
According to The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (Third Edition)children are supposed to memorize and analyze each part of speech as much as possible.
- Irregular Verbs list
Spelling and Vocabulary
- Word Lists
- Spelling (Look, Cover, And Write)
- Spelling Rules
- Vocabulary List
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Writing Plan for narrative, recount, procedure, report, explanation with the draft and final copy.
- Simple Prewriting Structure
- Creative writing prompts and pages
Today I would like to giveaway 5 pages of our Language Arts Notebooking Page Templates and Graphic Organizers.
Cliparts are from From the Pond – http://frompond.blogspot.com and http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Zip-a-dee-doo-dah-Designs
If you are interested to purchase the whole set of Language Arts Notebooking Page Templates and Graphic Organizers, please click the picture below:
What you may DO:
- Download the files to your computer and print them for your personal use.
- Give proper credit to Blessed Learners when blogging about the printable freebies.
- Link directly to my blog when sharing about the printable freebies.
Please DO NOT:
- Link directly to the PDF file; link to the blog post instead.
- Change the files in any way.
- Sell or distribute the files in any way.
- Host this file on your own website or upload it to a shared website.
To download the Language Arts Notebooking Page Templates and Graphic Organizer samples, please click the picture bellow:
To read more notebooking activity ideas in other subjects you might visit the 5 Days Notebooking in 5 Subjects by clicking the picture bellow
Adelien Tan is a mother of three awesome boys and a wife of a great husband. They are a home education family who live in Surabaya, Indonesia, where home education is still very rare. English is her foreign language, but She tries to use it in blogging.