We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
This post is extremely late. We are incredibly busy in preparing Ken for the National Standardized Exam. If you haven’t read how we were confused with this exam, you might read this posting:
We are too overwhelmed with this exam at the moment. I know that it is not on the track at all, but here is our first experience with our uncertain exam policy in our country. The exam, which includes will go around April 2014.
I would like to share how we prepare the exam so far. This is a very boring and tricky activity as Ken has to focus on this one for a couple of months left out.
Ken’s Exam Preparation
The exam consists of 5 subjects: Maths, Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian Language), Science, Social Studies, and Civic. The homeschooling exam is different from the school exam. School exam only has 3 subjects, Maths, Bahasa, and Science. Therefore, we are more busy than usual. Here are some steps we have done, have been doing, and will do:
- We finished with the reporting and administration submission to the related institution last October 2013 with a help of a friend as I told in the previous post about exam. Based on the announcement, we have been accepted to do the exam. This is a great challenge for Ken and me, indeed. Now we are waiting for the exam identification number, schedule, and venue which are going to be announced around March 2014.
- We enrolled Ken in a tutoring institution to get him used to a class situation and follow the regular school progress. At first I did it because I didn’t confident enough that I can handle the exam parts. Anyhow, now I feel regret that the progress in the institution is slower than what we have done. I might not enrol Tom next year.
- I purchased some exam preparation practice books for Ken and made a schedule for him to do them. I put 5 more subjects in our OLLY for iPad and OLLY for iMac.
- I should not ask him to sit down nicely and reread the lessons started from year 4 to 6 as it is required by the government. What a waste of time and energy asking Ken to do whole reviews of 5 subjects. As Ken got bored, I change the method to reading the summary so that his energy in memorizing won’t be wasted and more natural.
- When he has finished the summary for grade 4 to 6 as it is required, he start doing exam practice which consists of 40 or 50 number done in 120 minutes. I set the timer into 60 minutes to do the practice and the rest to check the answer. I tell them to skip the number whenever he cannot do the question and check them later on so that he won’t waste time in thinking while he neglects the other questions.
- Ken checks all the answers and rethinks of the ones that he skips. Checking might be harder than doing.
- In the other time I check all of the answer and score the practice with him without discussion. He uses to be so nervous to know his score.
- He makes revision of the wrong number using his notebook and correct the answer sheet.
- I recheck his revision. If it is correct, it means that he is just not careful, but if the answers are still wrong, it means that he really doesn’t understand about it. I give a score for the after revised answers.
- We discus the wrong numbers together to make sure he understand and know the way to answer similar questions next time he has similar questions.
Ken has finished all the national mathematics curriculum. He just does the exam practice for those 5 subjects with the cycle explained above. He will continue to the Math Mammoth 6B soon.
Tome is doing his multiplication and division of decimals. He is still confused about the long division process. I need to reexplain him all of the time. Hopefully he is getting better. I just enrolled the free Splash Maths.
We have finished with the leaf, root and stem. We went to the church garden to observe the types of leaves based on their shapes, arrangement, and veins. They were very excited. I love kids showing their independence in doing narration. I give them more chance to read the text by themselves and wrote the narration before we did it together.
Ken has finished The Black Pearl. He is going to do his reading response writing to go after that. Tom almost finishes The Trumpet of the Swan (full color). Reading has added a lot of vocabulary increase for them. Jim is really happy with his new adult bible I purchase special for him. Everyday he reads one by themselves.
Ken’s writing assignment final draft has been done in computer using word processor. He has worked very hard to get 150 each time. Therefore, he missed a lot of grammatical rules just to achieve the 150 words. I still try hard to deal with this one. Tom shows a great progress in writing narration. He often misses the verbs, but he is aware about that and just corrects them as soon as he knows.
Both of them has started SPELLING WORKOUT LEVEL E PUPIL EDITION very well. We start using the free Spelling City to support vocabulary and spelling. I get tired telling them the meaning of each new words. Using Spelling City, they can learn spelling and vocabulary independently.
Both of them are still busy with present perfect tense. This is a really great challenge for them to get consistent using past participle and have forms. It is also a great challenge for me to explain as well.
We have finished with the country study and now we are doing a Natural Disaster topic based on the government curriculum. Kids could do the lesson very well and they are doing test next week.
Bahasa and Civics
Ken has stopped doing both of them as he uses the time for the national exam preparation. Tom just follow the lesson independently.
When the kids are growing, they can be a lot much more independent. They are in their logic stage of the trivium. I start to see the difference now.