We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Parent certification in homeschool is one of the negative issues in the home education world. People around the world will doubt the ability of homeschool parents to teach the children. Well, this issue is normal relatively if we think with logic. We cannot avoid the fact that education is very important for the children, family, nations, and the world's life.
Before we continue the topic of parent certification in homeschool, I would like to recommend some books that will help uncertified parents to teach children:
The Homeschooling Handbook: How to Make Homeschooling Simple, Affordable, Fun, and EffectiveThe Complete Homeschool Planner and Journal: A 180-Day Record Book for Homeschoolers and Involved ParentsYes, You Can Homeschool!: The Terrified Parent's Companion To Homeschool SuccessHome Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
Parent Certification in Homeschool
You are not as qualified as the teachers in the public schools. How can you teach your children? I would like to say that a coach is not always a winning athlete. I am not teaching my readers now, but there is one absolute fact that I will be much better than the best-certified teachers in the world since I know my children much better than anybody else. I know how they grow since they were born. I love them much better than others.
Home education is not something new. It is something natural and it has already been started since a baby was born. We don't need any certification for being parents. For me, all parents should be able to educate their own children even if parents are illiterate. Children have their own ability to learn. They are growing so that they are not going to be dependent on their parents forever to learn. One day, children should be able to be independent and responsible for their own learning. Of course, we cannot be too confident about this one. We are not super parents, I think. At least, although parents cannot teach their children, parents can delegate the job to other people that are more skillful in the area.
Then, how is it going to be different from giving children to the public school? The freedom and the learning efficiency and privacy should be different than the public school. Although parents delegate the teaching to others, parents and children still can compromise the learning time, place, value, and methods. Homeschooling family still have more freedom in this case.
Besides, parents can learn together with their children to master the subjects or knowledge that are challenging. In this case, partnering with children can give an example of the love of everlasting learning.
In this modern days, we are very lucky that we have more facilities to support us academically. The world wide web provides a lot of ways to explore the world. There is also a lot of online learning anybody can access. They have richer materials than mere certification. What is really important to master is the ability to access them. Therefore, teaching about information skills which are rarely done at school is crucial for children.
10 Ways to Keep Learning How to Homeschool
Rather than thinking about the parent certification in homeschool, it is better to get parents to keep learning how to homeschool.
- Read as many books as you can about parenting and homeschool. They are not separable. Looking for great books to learn about homeschool? You should check out my post about My Favourite Home Education books
- Visit homeschool blogs and being inspired by other homeschoolers.
- Join some homeschool groups in Facebook. I have a couple of groups you might want to join:
- Global Homeschool Network is for homeschool parents around the world. You can get some information about homeschool and communicate with other homeschoolers in this group.
- Indonesian Homeschooling Network is only for Indonesian homeschoolers because it uses Indonesian language.
- Join a local or online homeschool community
- Subscribe to some homeschool courses for parents
- Create a journal about your homeschool and reflex your own experience
- Attend homeschool conventions
- Build a mastermind group with other homeschool parents where you can share and help each other. It doesn't have to have a numerous number of members, but you need to motivate each other so you can get an active group.
- Join a workshop or homeschool coop and learn from other parents how to teach.
- Know your children closer personally and have a close conversation or communication will help a lot.
I like the idea of educating each other for homeschool parents. We know our children best, but we need to learn from others as well to adopt with the children.
This post is a part of Negative Issues in Homeschool Series. Check out the other negative issues and how to deal with them:
How to Deal with Homeschool Naysayers
If you like this post, you might like
Before You Decide Homeschool Online Programs
7 Essential Things for A Homeschooling Mom
Are you Ready to be Qualified Homeschooling Parents?
10 Ways Out When I Cannot Teach My Children