We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
The great thing about homeschooling is the freedom and the time you have. Field trips are ways we can make the great memory of homeschooling. The success of field trips will usually come out of the preparation. Today I would like to share some tips on how to prepare field trips for homeschoolers. Get the great memory by Preparing A Field Trip for Homeschooling Children well.
We are aware that the preparation steps might be different for everyone, depends on the circumstances of every group. Here are some points to consider in preparing a field trip for homeschooling children
How to Prepare Field Trips for Homeschoolers
Selecting The Venue
First of all, you need to browse around your local venue that might give some excitement for children to learn about something in a more fun way. You might search for factories or public places that accept children to learn about the process or the system of working in brief or in general. Not all places will accept visits from outsiders.
- You need to find some information about visiting policy the field trip venue first.
- Get a contact person to whom you can contact for everything in the field trip venue.
- Think also the place where you are going to meet with your group.
One place to visit can give different purposes for different children. Try to set up the unique purpose of a field trip activities for different children participate. In a public school, the age level of participants is the same. Some homeschooling families have multiple aged children to participate in the field trip.
A field trip to the ice cream factory will have different purposes for the kindies, 2nd graders, 5th graders, 8th graders, and 10th graders. The kindies might learn about the shape and the fun things about ice cream, the 2nd graders might learn about the process or the design of the ice cream making, the 5th graders might learn about the mathematics behind the recipe ratio (might not be a real recipe), the 8th graders might learn about the heating and freezing process in making and distributing the ice cream, and the 10th graders might learn about the marketing. Of course, the company won’t give the real data, but at least children will know that there is a system to run the business. By setting the purpose for each level of participants, the children will get more out of the field trip activities while parents can help them to achieve the goals.Get the great memory by Preparing A Field Trip for Homeschooling Children well.
You might have different experiences with different budget you set. Determine the budget estimation for the field trip. If you have a problem in estimating the budget, you need to do more calculation on the expense you are going to make in doing the field trip. When you have finished with the field trip budget calculation, you might return to this step.
Make a list of participants of the field trip. You might use a google form to get the more detail data of participants who join the field trip. The content of the form can be various. It depends on the scope of the field trips. Here are some data that you might need to use about the particiants:
- Contact and Residence
- Grade Levels
- Will parents participate
- Allergy and any other customization
There should be something to eat during the field trip. Even when the trip only take a short time.Kids usually get hungry and thirsty easily during a trip since they will spend more energy than the common days. Think about how you are going to provide food for them:
- Bring a lunch box from home.
- Have a collective food. Parents can provide food for many children from home.
- Purchase some food in a restaurant or canteen near the location.
- Order some lunch boxes and bring them together on the way to the location.
- Cook the food in the location. Cooking should be a part of the event.
To determine the budget you need for the field trip, you need to estimate and calculate the amount of money spent for food need and put it into the whole budget estimation.
There are some options in arranging the transport:
- Each participant will go to the location by himself or herself.
- All participants meet in one place and go together in one or some vehicles.
- Everyone can reach the location without any vehicle. Everyone can walk to the location.
You might not have to consider the expense and means of transportation if you go in a family using your private car, but when you go in a group and when you go outside the town, you need to calculate this expense.
Some field trip venues require tickets to enter, but some of them don’t require. The public transportation also requires tickets. I am very sure that all homeschooling families will prefer the best price for everything.
- Well, to get the best price of tickets, bulk purchase in a sale event will be perfect.
- You won’t always get the best price by self-purchase. The travel agent might get better deals.
- Some exhibition events usually offer a more economical price.
- Looking for coupons in some media will be an alternative to get more economical prices.
Do some research to get the best price before you decide to purchase. It is better to use the left out money for other things. Don’t forget to put the calculation to the general budget calculation.
List What to Do and The Contact Person
- Each field trip location has certain rules to keep the visitors safe and the place appropriate. Don’t forget to obey the rule for safety.
- If you plan to do a field trip in a crowded public place, it is better for you to wear such kind of uniform that will ease you to count the number of participants and to recognize your people.
- As obeying the rules is important, it is also suggested to have a kind of cues for you to gather the participants or to get more attention from them.
- If you have to be separated into small groups, please get a meeting point so that everyone can go there in the end.
- If you are in a public place with a lot of participants, it is better for you to pair the participants so they can help each other.
- It is also suggested for a group in a crowded location to have a kind of flag or stick held by the group leader so that the participants could follow. Thus, a lost of people can be minimized.
Things to Bring
- Ask your contact person in the field trip venue about things that the participants need to bring either collective or individually
- Communicate the list to all participants when you go in a group. If you go in a family, you might give some responsibility to prepare and to take care of the things to bring before and after the field trip.
- Make the things to bring list earlier before the field trip.
Besides learning in the real-life situation, field trips are also an event to build up and keep memories for homeschool families, especially children. Once the field trips are done, children might forget them. They will come up in their memories several months, and even years after that or after they graduate later on. It also often happens that the memory of field trips come up when everyone is getting much older. Therefore, you need to make some documentation for each field trip you have with children. Don’t exclude the documentation when you prepare field trips for homeschoolers or you will regret it. The bitter memory might turn into a nice one.
How do you make memories out of your field trips?
- A camera is very important to any homeschool activity. You should bring either a mobile phone with a camera feature or a real camera with you anywhere and any time, including on field trips.
- A video will be useful to record the processes and moving actions. It will consume more time and memory, but it worths a lot.
- Organize and keep the files well in your clouding storages to make sure they won’t lost
- Publish them to some social media to look up later in the future. Instagram and Facebook are to mention. Facebook will show memories on the days back.
Pre and Post Activities
Based on the purpose of the field trip, you might introduce and follow up the field trip with some activities. Please adjust it with your children interest and mood. A simple journal can be a great post-activity. You might bring all of your creativities with children to make the field trip more engaging and memorable.
Today I would like to share a couple of field trip Planning Forms that you might use to plan your field trips. Hopefully, it would be useful for you.
Fill in the form to access
If you like 10 Tips to Prepare Field Trips for Homeschoolers, you need to check out: