We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
How different are the modern boys who are friends of the modern sophisticated gadgets from the boys in the middle age who are trained to be knights? It is very contrasted to implementing the old knight chivalry codes to raise modern boys who cannot leave the sophisticated technology in their daily life. On the other hand, every parent of boys will be happy to raise honorable, courageous, and compassionate boys like the knights in the middle ages. The two contrast conditions to raise modern boys and to use the old knight chivalry in doing so are not possible to merge. Yes, the modern boy parents want to raise their children whose mental and manner qualify the knights. Then, let's use the knight chivalry as the base.
As a mom of 3 boys, I know well that raising boys is not that easy. I also have 2 nephews to raise in our house. It makes a total of 5 boys in our house. They are 8, 10, 11, 14, and 15 years old. Can you imagine how alive our house is? It has never been quiet unless everyone is not at home or unless they sleep. Meanwhile, I come from a family with 3 daughters. I don't have any brothers. Therefore, living among males had made me crazy. I read books about boy parenting to help me in raising them. Here are some great books I have read:
Raising Boys, Third Edition: Why Boys Are Different–and How to Help Them Become Happy and Well-Balanced Men
Boys are unique and my thirst for the knowledge of raising boys doesn't stop there. I was very happy when a blogging friend, Heather Haupt, told me that she was about to launch her book, Knights in Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate Boys. From the title, everyone would be able to conclude that it is a book about raising boys.
Well, the first and the last words of the title: knights and boys have stolen my heart. I joined the launch group very soon and I got the electronic book for free in a change of review. I am not to write a positive review, but all words in this post is an honest opinion.
This book consists of 3 parts:
- The Boy-Raising Adventure discuss the background of the boy training.
- The Chivalry Challenges has 12 chapters to discuss Chivalry codes in history, Physical training, and each of the chivalry code
- Continuing The Quest is about how to maintain the training in the real life.
To Raise Modern Boys
Raising children is different in method and practice from time to time. Our parents will say that raising children in my era was difficult and different from their time. Now I will say that raising my children is different from the way my parents raised me. It always happens anywhere. It is also the same when we raise modern boys.
- This book mentions some problems about to raise modern boys in chapter 2. There are some points about how different boys grow in the modern world that the writer tries to avoid in educating her children. I completely agree with her opinion.
- There are several points on how unique it is to raise boys in chapter 3 of the book Knights in Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate Boys
Old Knight Chivalry Codes as The Base
The idea of using knight chivalry as the principle to help parents in training the boys is based on the middle age European history. It was the time when Europe was chaos because of the misbehavior of knights that have more power than the common people. To solve the problem, a set of knight chivalry codes is made. The details of knight life and chivalry code background are in chapter 4.
I really love the 10 knight chivalry codes representing values that boys need to learn. Here are to mention:
- Love God
- Stand Against Injustice
- Protect the Weak
- Respect Women
- Don't Give Offense
- Speak Truth
- Be Generous
- Pursue Excellence
Each of the code is discussed in details from chapter 6 to 15 in Knights in Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate Boys.
- Readers can get some background and scope for each code. Each of the code is connected to the modern world case.
- We also can read the method of training in detail and the tips
- There are resources to deliver the training, most of them are books.
I hope that my readers, especially those who are moms of boys will find this book helpful in giving more perspective about a great method in raising modern boys with the old knight chivalry code training.I don't have any hesitation to recommend this book for any mom to raise modern boys with some notes:
- There are some parts of the books that have religious value, and Christianity in this case in chapter 6. If you have a different religion, you can alter the Christian value with your religious value.
- There are some physical action, including fighting plays, that parents need to pay more attention to the safety. At the same time, this book also provides some safety tips to follow
Knights in Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate Boys