We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
China is a country that has very long history. When many children start their world history with the Ancient Egypt, we cannot say that it means China has later history than other people in the world. It is just the late exposure toward this country that makes it is late for people to learn about China. It had been years that outsiders could not "touch" China due to the introvert government of communism.
Although China still hold on communism, it has been more extrovert than it was before. China has learnt a lot from other countries and from its experiences. Therefore, learning about China will give children more insight toward this country and the background of its progress.
Reasons To Learn about China with Children
This is one country that everyone needs to learn about for some reasons:
- Chinese people and the descendants are spread over the world. If you want to learn their background for certain purposes, such as friendship, courtesy, business, etc, then you need to know about China. The person might not be directly related with China, or even they don't understand Chinese. However, you can learn about their philosophy and tradition which are usually inherited.
- China has been successful to open their country to others. The started from a poor country with so many corruption, poverty, and dictatorship. Their might be some left over, but people around the world should admit that China has made huge progress in economy, technology, and industry.
- Although China has stepped on the modern stage, it still comes from the rich tradition which is inherited and spread out around the world. One tradition that comes from China is the use of chopsticks. The Chinese new year tradition also shows the rich tradition of China. It is unavoidable that the modern stage derives from the traditional life and the ancient history. Can you imagine how much experience has China learned from its history and tradition?
- China has trained many important athletes and influential public figures in the world. Learning about China will learn about their "life" training principals that we can learn too.
- China has wonderful myths and legends that children will enjoy a lot. They might sound superstitious in some ways, but there are a lot of messages children can learn from them.
Today I would share some resources to learn about China. There are many resources to learn about China, especially from the internet. However, I curated some of them and choose the children friendly accessed. Here are some free online resources to learn about China and some books both fiction and non-fiction to get the lessons more engaging.
FREE Online Resources to Learn about China
Here are some great FREE resources to learn about China for children to learn online. Before children visit or use the sites, parents should check first if they are suitable for the children's levels.
This is a complete site to help children learning about China. There are several links that support children to study China in the field of history and geography. There are
- Geography Overview
- Major historical landmarks
This site is specialized in the Chinese cultures which include:
There are also some historical pages that focus on archeology, figures, view points, events, anecdotes, and movies.
I really like this site, not for the resources about China, but there are also resources for other civilizations and empires. Like the name, this site provides maps based on the historical events for many countries in the world. The topic for China includes:
- The Civilization of Ancient China maps
- The dynasty of Shang
- The dynasty of Zhou
- The dynasty of Qin
- The dynasty of Han
Mr. Dowling has some pages of history and the topic for China history is very interesting for children. There are some information pages organized by the topics and there is also videos of reading a text that the auditory learning styled children can get benefits of it.
The topics include:
- The Great Wall of China
- Genghis Khan and Kublai Khan
- The Silk Road
I love this site a lot. I has numbers of history topics, with most of the ancient civilization, including China. The resources are classified into the teacher and children resources.
The teachers' resources have lesson plans, presentation, informational pages, templates, stories read to children, and cheat sheets. The children's resources have informational pages suitable to children with more simple language.
If you use the mobile gadget, the country profile of China from the National Geography will be great to use to introduce China. It has beautiful and clear pictures. The information is not deep for the middle school, but it will be too complicated for the lower elementary grade. Just adjust it with your children.
This link will lead you to some hands on activities involving arts with the topic of China. They are great for children from K-4th grades.
- Coloring pages
- Flag printables
- Traditional stories
- Notebooking pages
- Traditional games.
The title of this site is China The Beauty. Like its name, this site reveals the beauty of China from many different fields. Here are some unique topics that this site has:
- Poems and other forms of literatures
I like how the information sent in this site because they are delivered like a narration with well-sized fonts. The writing is also not too long, so the lower elementary and even some kindergarten levels should be able to understand without being bored. There are some pictures which are children friendly. It is more suitable for children. Here are some areas:
- Craft and Artisan
- Tombs and Ancestors
This is just a picture with a list of different Chinese female clothing styles from different eras. For us, it is very interesting to see the evolution of China from ladies fashion.
Books About China
Here are 20 both fiction and non-fiction books for children to get to know China. There are also some activities and hands-on books to help children in lessons.
Learning about China in Chinese New Year
Learning about China cannot be separated from learning about Chinese new year because Chinese new year has revealed a lot of aspects of Chinese cultures, mythology and philosophy that
Well, I love the celebration of Chinese new year. Even, if you don't celebrate it or if it is not close to
Resources to Learn about China in Pinterest
I also have some Pinterest boards you might be
- learning about China and other countries in terms of Geography
- using various
notebookingresources with some Chinese topics for FREE
- doing some arts and craft related with China. Find them in the boards below