We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
What? Romance relationship? I cannot imagine what will happen when my teenager child has a romance relationship? How will I react? What should I do? I won't be able to think when and how my child start to be interested to other gender. It must be a very stressful time for most parents in the world when you are not prepared for it.
I thought that having teenagers is easier than having babies or toddlers. It seems it is a mistake. Every stage of growth has its own unique feature. Teenagers life is in the years when a lot of confusions happen mostly. Teenagers are busy with asking for social identity questions:
- Who am I?
- How do others see me?
- Where do I fit among my peers?
Teenagers also start to show unstable mood and desire to live in autonomy from their family.
During the stage that asks for identity, their desire to know more about the other gender is usually growing more. Some of them start to build the teenage romantic relationship, but there are a lot of chance they start to be involved in pornography. Those sound very scary for me. I really don't want my babies lost in the wrong world. However, it is also not easy to prepare them for the facts that the sexual temptation will come to them one day. Moreover, it is also hard to give moral awareness to avoid the negative world of sexual temptation and romantic relationship.
Having two and nearly three teenage boys, I am very happy to read Relationships, 11 Lessons to Give Kids A Greater Understanding of Biblical Sexuality written by Luke and Trisha Gilkerson. I received the book for a change of my time in reviewing this product. All opinions are honest, and I am not required to post a positive review. I am also an affiliate for this product. Some links are affiliate links meaning, at no additional cost to you, I may get a small commission if you make a purchase. Thanks for your support in this way!
The book has flown across half of the Earth to go to my house. I am very grateful that it comes o the right time when I need to help my teenagers dealing with sexual temptation and romance relationship topics.
The Biblical Sex Ed Series
If you read my previous posts about sexual education, you will know that I am a fan of The Biblical Sex Ed series written by Trisha and Luke Gilkerson. They are written gently and carefully to deliver the sexual education, which is a very sensitive topic to discuss, based on the Biblical approach. Here are the previous books they published:
Well, I have written review posts for both of them and you can read them:
Luke and Trisha also create an online video course that will answer over 30 concerns and questions about how to deliver sexual education with biblical approach. There are 8 lessons and several precious resources you will receive along with the main course. Click the image below to check it out.
It is The Time for Relationships
Relationships, 11 Lessons to Give Kids A Greater Understanding of Biblical Sexuality is the last book from the series. It is the most advanced topic aimed for teenagers on 11 to 14 years old. As it is mentioned in the subtitle, this book has 11 lessons which guide both parents and children to control the sexual temptation and to run with opposite sex. Here are the 11 lessons that you need to consider:
- Lesson 1: Sex Done Right – Sexual and Relational Desires Were Created Good.
It looks at the original goodness of sexuality and marriage relationships as God created them.
- Lesson 2: Sex Done Wrong – How Sin Has Brought Sexual and Relational Brokenness
This lesson addresses how sin has brought about sexual brokenness into the world, including our propensity to lust.
- Lesson 3: Every Kind of Impurity – How the Sinful World Ruins Relationship.
It exposes the varieties of sexual and relational temptations in the world: from masturbation to pornography use to homosexual activities.
- Lesson 4: Three Strategies for Holy Relationships – Run From, Run To, Run With
This lesson covers three biblical strategies for avoiding and overcoming lust.
- Lesson 5: Guarding The Heart – Running from Internal Temptations
It discusses how we should guard our hearts from sexual and relational idolatry.
- Lesson 6: Guarding The Eyes – Running from Visual Temptations
The lesson talks about how we need to make a covenant with our eyes to avoid temptation.
- Lesson 7: Guarding The Body – Running from Visual Temptations
We will talk about the importance of fleeing sexually tempting situations.
- Lesson 8: Pursuing Christ – Running to God in Sexually Broken World
It addresses the biblical strategy of pursuing intimacy with God and cultivating gratitude for wholesome pleasures.Lesson 9 discusses the importance of being wise in our opposite-sex friendships.
- Lesson 10: Pursuing Integrity – Running with The Opposite Sex
This lesson addresses the value of accountability relationships.
- Lesson 11: Pursuing Holiness – Running with Accountability
It gives students and their parents a picture of the life-transforming grace of God for sexual sinners.
The book is started with an introduction for parents that explains about
- The age of temptation
- Foundational Building Blocks of Biblical Sexual Values
- The Balance Attitude between the power and the goodness of sex in the family
- The Requirements of the lessons
What I Like about Relationships
- It helps parents to run through the sensitive topics thoroughly and carefully. Parents will just need to follow the guidance adjusted with the family situation and condition (atmosphere)
- Since the foundation of the lessons is The Bible, Christian family will have stronger affirmation in the sexual concept related with the temptation.
- The lessons will not make parents in guilty for the past experience that might happen. While parents are guiding, we are learning as well.
- The lessons require opennes in discussion with more careful and serious delivery. Therefore, they will make closer relationship between parents and teenagers.
- There is a self assessment in the end of the lessons. Children will be able to do self reflection as well.
How to Get Relationships?
Relationships, 11 Lessons to Give Kids A Greater Understanding of Biblical Sexuality is available in both digital and paperback copies. For the digital copies, you can download it as soon as you purchase it in the Intoxicate on Life Store. The paperback version is available in Amazon. Click the buttons bellow to purchase and to get more information:
If you want to purchase the bundle of Sex ed Books, click the image bellow:
Adelien Tan is a mother of three awesome boys and a wife of a great husband. They are a home education family who live in Surabaya, Indonesia, where home education is still very rare. English is her foreign language, but She tries to use it in blogging.