How is the most terrible day in your homeschool? Have you ever experienced the terrible days in homeschool? How do you deals with the days? We do have many terrible days in the beginning of our homeschool. It is not as many as it was before at the moment, but there are still days that make us really upset and frustrated.
The word terrible sounds scary. It reminds me to the story book I read, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. I completely forget about the book, but I watched the movie. If you either haven't read the story or watched the movie yet, I will tell you a bit about it. The movie was about Alexander, a boy who lived with his 3 siblings and parents. He had a very bad day before his birthday. His family always considers him as the troublemaker or the bad luck source, especially the day before his birthday. When he has his birthday, he makes a wish at night that he will have lucky days and he also curses his family to experience bad days like his. It really happens in the next day. All of his family experience very terrible things at the same time while Alexander has a great day as he wishes.
Watching how terrible the day that the family has, I just remember how we might have terrible days in homeschool. It is a day when nothing happens well. Do you have such kind of experience? This kind of situation is usually related to the multitasking and error.
How Terrible Days in Homeschool Happen
- There are some days when some works that happen at the same time fail to work together. For example, you might have burnt food and some accident by or with children. It really trains up your thought to solve the problems one by one by giving the priorities done first. Getting the children in the safe place should be done on the first time.
- Your children also will not always give a stable performance physically, emotionally, and intelligently. For example, one day my eldest son will have a bad mood by daydreaming all day long so that nothing can go to his mind at all. The next day, he gets to his sanity and it is the turn for my second son to show his turn. Those are always stressful days. In such days, I feel better to deal with the problematic child one by one (if the problem occurs one after another). However, when the problems turn up at the same time, I prefer to have a break time or time up to settle down.
- Some incidental business and matters just turned up at the same time. When the customers turn up, some health problem and other family matters annoyed our days in homeschooling. There isn't any other way to continue the schooling time and even the homeschooling routines rather than to stop everything and give priorities to the other things first. Rather than continuing the lessons in chaos, I would prefer finishing the unfinished business.
- Sibling rivalry is a serious problem for me. Knowing my children in a fight is very annoying for me. I would be very upset and it makes me in a bad mood all day long. It would be a terrible day for me. As usual, taking a break to get them to their sense is the priority in this case. The idea from the scripture that “Brothers love each other” will be recalled. I forget which part of Book of Rome mentions the phrase. Giving the brothers logical thinking about the useless result of rivalries is another way to do.
- Instead of rivalries, some trouble that might be caused by some children might be caused by the boredom. Boredom can result a chain of terrible, horrible, and very bad days. As a parent, you should be sensitive and alerted to this situation. Try to find out the root of the problem and fix it soon.
How To Deal With The Terrible Days in Homeschool
- Other things than taking a break, you might solve the terrible days together as a team. This idea, of course, turns up from watching the movie. Solving problem together will make the family bound stronger. Having some compromise through some discussions is one way to do that.
- Praying together is also a model for children on their life later on. Children will learn how to hand their problem to God and it also will grow up your faith.
- Another thing to do is delegating some works to others. While I have some points to handle that make me stressful, I would be happy if I have someone to whom I can delegate one thing from the cluttering things in a day.
- Before the chaos happens, it will be better to prevent it. Getting organized is a great way to do it. You might think that it is something impossible for you to do, but you should try as much as you can till you are successful. I am not an organized homemaker, I think.
- Terrible days might happen because of the boredom in homeschool. Check out the links for some activities to do when your homeschool is boring.
If you like the post, you might like:
5 Ways Parents Can Encourage a Positive Sibling Relationship
4 Ways to Stop Sibling Quarreling
10 Ways to Maintain Sibling Relationship
5 Keys to Create a Happy Homeschool
Top 15 Common Homeschooling Questions People Ask