We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Dissection is one kind of science activities we do with the kids. It might be gross to do this activity, but we finally decide to do together with kids. Today we are going to share some tips for the dissection with kids that are hopefully useful for any homeschooling family. Well, we are not the expert yet, but here are some points that we got from our experience.
If you have not read our previous posts about dissection, I suggest you to visit:
Involve Kids from The Physical To Mental Preparation
Preparation for the dissection activities is compulsory to get better results. Parents or tutors are responsible for the whole activities, including the preparation for the dissection with kids. However, the involvement of kids in the preparation will train kids to be more responsible and to engaged in the activities.
- The physical preparation will include the kits and tools preparation. You will also need a supportive place to do the dissection with kids.
- The preparation doesn’t include the tools and kits only, but it also includes some mental preparation to direct the readiness and maturity of kids to do the dissection activities.
Don’t Force Kids if They are Scared or Not Confident
Not everyone is confident enough to do dissection. some kids might be disgusted with the activity and not confident. Parents might also be not confident enough. Building up positive thinking with the correct goals and preparation of knowledge will help you to be more confident and “brave” enough.
However, in case your kids are not able to control themselves to do the dissection or if they don’t want to do the dissection because of being disgusted with the dissection, it is better for you not to force them doing it. When you force them to do the dissection, they will be pressured to do it and they usually will reject it more. You still can do it by yourself. Your kids might be interested in the middle of the dissection as what happened to one of my sons. At first he didn’t want to try dissecting the frog, but he was willing to do on the gecko’s dissection by himself. I was very surprised to find him offering dissection.
Working in A Team Is Better
Dissection is a great time for kids to learn how to work together in a team. If you have more than one child, they can do the activity together as a team. You might also do the dissection with other homeschoolers. We found that our kids can work together among themselves and with other homeshoolers well. In case, you don’t have any connection with others, you might build a working team with your kids. You might change a role to be the leader in the dissection activity.
For honest, I am not capable to do dissection by myself. I feel it is disgusting. However, my kids are really enthusiastic to do the dissection activity. Then, we team up together. I provide or facilitate the activity. I purchase the equipments for them and browse for resources. On the day of dissection, they cooperate with my sister to do the dissection activity while I put the activity into documents by recording. I also helped them to identify the organs based on the theory I got.
Adults Supervision is A Must
Whether your dissection activity with kids is safe or challenging, an adult supervision is still a must for us. We never know how the kids do it properly with each step in the dissection activity.
- Children are still not stable yet. It might happen that they cannot control themselves for being shocked or disgusted.
- The dissection kits might make some injury since they are sharp.
- If you use some anesthesia, please don’t give it to them as they might make mistake and cannot control it as well.
- It is important also to keep the working area clean after the activity as I am sure that you don’t want any smell left out there.
Clean Up After Finish
Cleaning up after all of the homeschooling activities is a compulsory for us. I think you also want the clean working area, kits, and tools after the dissection activity. Well, we don’t use the specimen or toy in the dissection activity. Therefore, the smell and dirty area are the consequences. Cleaning up should be done in total, including the kits, the tools, and the area we use.
- Children are responsible also in the cleaning activity. We explain the area, kits, and tool cleaning up procedures before the activity is started so they will have some ideas what they suppose to do after the dissection.
- We sterilize the dissection kits so that they will not be smelly when we keep them. Some lemon is going to be helpful.
- We clean up the dissection pan and plastic cover well.
- We prepare some plastic bags to put all the trash after the dissection.
Cleaning up is also a habit. once we don’t involve them to do, it is harder for them to do in the next activity.
Pay Attention to The Safety
There are some things that parents need to pay attention regarding the kids’ safety in the dissection activity. Here are some points you need to know:
- Dissection uses some sharp tools. You should warn the kids before. However, it is suggested that you prepare some first aid kits before the activity.
- Some animals need plaster put on the urogenital preventing the urine out without control in the dissection.
- Blood or other liquid might also come out and sprayed to your faces. Therefore, the use of goggles and mask are urged.
- The use of any chemical needs to read the manual carefully. You might also need to ask the seller for detail instruction.
Working Outdoor or Indoor
You have a choice in doing the dissection activity, whether you want to do indoor or outdoor. We have tried both of them.
- Working outdoor gives more fresh air than working indoor.
- Working outdoor is very hot for us since we live in the tropical country.
- Working indoor is more helpful for us to get all the equipments ready.
- Working indoor might make some smell without the AC, but it might not be that bad. It depends on the air circulation too.
Is there any of you that have any other tips to share? Don’t be hesitated to write some comment bellow.
This post is a part of the Dissection with Kids Series. Here are other posts about dissection with kids you should visit:
- The Reasons for The Dissection with Kids
- The Preparation for The Dissection with Kids
- The Tips for The Dissection with Kids
- After The Dissection with Kids
- 40 Alternative Resources for The Dissection with Kids
To learn more about animals and science topics, we use our Basic Science Notebooking Page Templates. Check it out: