We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertizing program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Furthermore, this page may contain other sponsors, affiliate, and/or affiliate links. This means if you click on a link (ad) on our site, we may receive and commision. As always, opinions are my own and are sincere. You can read our disclaimer and private policy. We also have our disclosure policy.
Many people asked me how I got so many English resources even I live in Indonesia whose English is not the language we speak. Moreover, we are far away from the United States where a lot of homeschooling resources available easily. I should not talk about it right now as our Rupiah exchange is getting weaker and weaker. Honestly, I have to hold my wish to but some resources at the moment considering the current exchange that gets higher and higher for us. I need to learn being frugal. I know there are a lot of free resources around the web, but we cannot rely on free things forever. Some purchase will have different quality of products.
Anyway, here are some places where I shop most of our English resources. Before I started, I would like to disclose that most of the links bellow are my affiliates. I will receive small amount of commissions when there are some products purchased through this site. I would like to consider it as blessings. Nevertheless , all recommendations and comments are honestly from me and I wish I can help readers to think and to choose
First of all, a friend of mine inform me the most precious second hand ebook, http://www.ebookoid.com. Plenty of great fiction, nonfiction, and reference are sold in the form of e-books that cost extremely cheap and even for free. I am not sure about the legality about it exists.
Kobo was my next destination to purchase most non-fiction book for my private reading, especially about homeschooling and fitness.
- I don't need to wait for a long time as when I have to purchase hard copy book.
- There is not shipping fee definitely
- There always be huge discount on the weekend
- Even there are plenty of FREE e-books, especially the classic ones
- I can as many books as I want at once without the bookshelf
Currclick is also my favourite e-book for some great resources and it always offers some free item weekly. The greatest problem for me getting the hard copy resources are:
- The shipping fee which is very dear
- The delivery time which is quite long.
- The tax that I have to pay once the books arrives in the local post office
- The space to keep them
For all classical core resources from The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (Third Edition), I purchase the electronic editions from http://www.peacehillpress.com.
- They are more expensive than Amazon, but they are cheaper as I don't need to pay the shipping fee once again.
- I can reproduce the workbooks for all of the kids
- I can choose which parts of the workbooks to print
For Leveled Readers, I choose one of this sites:
Anyway, I cannot avoid hardcopy books all of the time. Some encyclopedia references, famous illustrated children books, and some arts books are more engaging in hardcopy forms. If I could rent from the library, I would do it. However, there isn't any library with up to date books nearby. Some of the English books have been translated into Indonesian that I think they sound and mean different from the origin language. Some local bookstores sell imported books, but they are much expensive than purchasing online. Therefore, I have to save a great deal of money to purchase them online periodically. For this purpose, I need to consider the better prices given by either BookDepository.com or Amazon.com. Based on my experience, there are some consideration to think where to order
- Although BookDepository price is mostly higher than Amazon, it has a great collection of books has a free worlwide shipping. It is very beneficial for me when the calculation of shipping expense in Amazon and the price itself is higher than a “not discounted” price of BookDepository books.
- BookDepository will separate each book I order into single shipping so I don't need to pay tax in local post office when the book costs less than US$50.
As a leading worldwide online bookstore, Amazon offers the widest book collections I think. I choose Amazon to buy my hardcopy book collections as
- It has a great service. I had some orders that I didn't received. I didn't now whose mistake it was. How meaningful the money I used to purchase books using US$ was. I sent my complain and after three months I didn't receive them, I got refund from that purchase. I was extremely happy as I didn't loose my money.
- Some Amazon books sometimes has great discount, so that even I have to pay the shipping fee, it is much cheaper than other bookstore.
Well, those are some online shops where I purchase our English homeschooling resources from. There are huge numbers of free resources around the world wide web, but sometimes I really cannot avoid the paid ones. The case is quite different for me who live n a non English speaking country. There are also some giveaways from homeschooling moms in the websites and some online limited offers that are too precious to miss.
Please share some information and tips about how to get great resources from homeschooling by online purchase that can be received and delivered to Indonesia.